TheBum

Strange missing partial layer when sliced

I've experienced this a few time before, but sometimes when I use a 0.3mm layer height, part of the sliced model has a partial layer missing (left side of the model in this case).
Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 5.06.54 PM.png
If I simply change the layer height to 0.2mm, the layers are contiguous.
Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 5.10.13 PM.png
I have attached the factory file. Any help on solving this issue would be appreciated. Printing speed is more important than output quality for this model.

Thanks.
Alan
Attachments
Extension Cord Outlet Holder - upper bracket.factory
(19.42 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
billyd

Re: Strange missing partial layer when sliced

One work around is to set your layer height slightly different and see if that corrects. e.g. from 0.300 to 0.315 or .295 etc.
S3D-Taylor

There might be some mesh issues in this model. Version 5.1 used Positive Fill by default, while this does work with a lot of models there are plenty of cases where it does not work as well. This is why we implemented the Alternating Fill AND Positive Fill option. Try using 'Alternating Fill' in the Slicing Region Repair Mode for your model and see if the problem gets resolved. This option is found in the Advanced tab of the Process Settings or you can do a search for 'Slicing Region Repair Mode' on the top right corner of Edit Process Settings.

We find that Positive Fill works best for most models, but there is not a single setting that will work for all types of mesh issues. You can learn more here: https://www.simplify3d.com/resources/ar ... sh-errors/
TheBum

Positive Fill was already set for that model. However, I tried it with Alternating Fill and that cleared it up. I'fve since modified the model to be taller and it slices fine with Positive Fill. What does Merge All Boundaries (the third option for that setting) do?
S3D-Jason

The merge all boundaries option basically fills in all the holes in the layer. It's useful if the mesh had incorrect normals or lots of invalid internal geometry. It can also be useful for vase mode if you know you only want to print the outer outline of the part and want to ignore internal holes.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”