Paul_W

Custom Bed Shape?

Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:14 pm

I am considering purchasing Simplify3D. Is there an option now that will allow me to specify a custom bed shape?
I have a large format Delta printer that has a mostly triangular bed that's 17" across.
With Slic3r I can import an STL with the bed shape, and then it is easy to position large models.

Can S3D do this now?

Thanks

JoeJ

Re: Custom Bed Shape?

Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:41 am

Yea, you can import an STL file and S3D will make it semi-transparent to represent the bed (or even the rest of the printer if you want!)

Go to Tools > Options, then click the Machine tab, and add the STL file as a startup model

qharley

Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:00 am

What would be nice is to add a feature like in the latest Slic3r versions, where you can upload a STL to define the printable area precisely. You could even take it a step further where the printable area is not quite an extruded bed shape, but limited on one and of its movement range. This way you could maximise the usage on that particular machine, not previously possible.

Having a ghost bed is useful, but not as fool proof as one would hope for.

Jamesbuzz

Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:25 pm

Paul_W wrote:I am considering purchasing Simplify3D. Is there an option now that will allow me to specify a custom bed shape?
I have a large format Delta printer that has a mostly triangular bed that's 17" across.
With Slic3r I can import an STL with the bed shape, and then it is easy to position large models.

Can S3D do this now?

Thanks
I have been wanting to do this also with my Kossel it has the large triangular print bed! does anyone have a screen shot of what this looks like after doing it?

DarthRevan

Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:59 am

Jamesbuzz wrote:
Paul_W wrote:I am considering purchasing Simplify3D. Is there an option now that will allow me to specify a custom bed shape?

Can S3D do this now?

Thanks
I have been wanting to do this also with my Kossel it has the large triangular print bed! does anyone have a screen shot of what this looks like after doing it?
Pics:
TriangleBuildPlate.png
Above with grid
TriangleBuildPlate_Undeneath.png
Under with grid
TriangleBuildPlate_Without Grid.png
Grid Disabled

falstaffpac

Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:38 am

I would be interested to know if anyone figures out how to size and position the STL file relative to the print bed. I spent several hours attempting to do this yesterday. I also tried sizing my STL relative to the LulzBot_TAZ3.stl file with no luck. It seems pretty straight forward to place the STL image below the print bed, but I would like to create one which surrounds it.

KeyboardWarrior

Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:25 am

falstaffpac wrote:I would be interested to know if anyone figures out how to size and position the STL file relative to the print bed. I spent several hours attempting to do this yesterday. I also tried sizing my STL relative to the LulzBot_TAZ3.stl file with no luck. It seems pretty straight forward to place the STL image below the print bed, but I would like to create one which surrounds it.

The file for the bed STL is stored in the folder below. You will need to enable viewing of hidden folders in the control panel to get to this filepath.

C:\Users\**USERNAME**\AppData\Local\Simplify3D\S3D-Software

The Bed STL isn't translated or rotated at all. Therefore to get your STL ready for import you would need to import it into Simplify3D, and move it around and then go to File-->Export STL when you have it translated/rotated corrected and save as a new STL.

From there, you can simply replace the LulzBot Taz STL in your Appdata\Local\Simplify3D\S3D-Software filepath. It's easiest if you keep the same name, that way you don't have to export your FFF Profile and change the data, then reimport it.

falstaffpac

Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:50 am

Now I get it. I was trying to scale and position the stl in another program then apply in S3D. It never occurred to me the STL should be scaled and positioned relative to the print bed in the main S3D window! I'm going to create an STL file for my simple metal. How do I associate the STL with my Simple Metal profile?

KeyboardWarrior

Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:32 pm

You would want to put the file into the folder:

C:\Users\**USERNAME**\AppData\Local\Simplify3D\S3D-Software

Then go into Simplify3D and go to File-->Export FFF Profile. Then open that file up with a text editor.

Find the two lines:

<overridePrinterModels>0</overridePrinterModels>
<printerModelsOverride></printerModelsOverride>

Change those to:

<overridePrinterModels>1</overridePrinterModels>
<printerModelsOverride>myPrintModel.stl</printerModelsOverride>

Where myPrintModel.stl would be the name of your file.

Then save it, and go to File-->Import FFF Profile.

gregharry

Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:22 pm

FWIW, the file is located here on the Mac version: /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Simplify3D. Or just use Finder -> Go -> Go to Folder and enter ~/Library/Application Support/Simplify3D.

S3D wasn't saving my choice for machine image, so I renamed the stock .stl file and changed the one I wanted to use the stock name.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”