Page 1 of 1
I am stumped why my surface quality above support is so bad?
Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:13 pm
by Grifftech
I have been trying all kinds of combinations and the supports do not come off like any of the videos I have watched nor is my surface quality any good. In the following pictures you can see it looks like the first non-support layer is just squiggled on. No clean pattern or uniformity to it. I am printed the same part with Cura and the finish is much better, and I was hoping S3D was going to give me better results. Not only does it look worse but it takes 3 times as long to print
Re: I am stumped why my surface quality above support is so
Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:28 pm
by DarthRevan
The pictures aren't telling the whole story, could you please post your factory file?
Re: I am stumped why my surface quality above support is so
Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:34 pm
by Grifftech
DarthRevan wrote:The pictures aren't telling the whole story, could you please post your factory file?
Sorry I am new to S3D what is factory file?
Re: I am stumped why my surface quality above support is so
Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:53 pm
by Rebekah_harper
hiya,
if you go to file in the menu. you can save factory files. basically you can say they are raw data files which save your setup and part before it is sliced.
allows you to stop save and go back to it to edit or if you are using a different material to make changes to temp and extruder behaviour etc...
the layer you are referring to is difficult to get perfect. I tend to use a high % density with a 0.1 separation.
I have to admit you have done very well with that result so any better will require some sand paper.
so I don't see a need for a factory file to be honest. but they are very handy to save none the less. I save a factory file, G-Code file and X3G file (something my printer uses) so that I have at least a record of my work in all formats.
do a search for 'TIP OF THE DAY' one of the guys on here put a lot of work into explaining every feature. exceptionally useful.
Re: I am stumped why my surface quality above support is so
Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:15 pm
by Grifftech
Rebekah_harper wrote:hiya,
if you go to file in the menu. you can save factory files. basically you can say they are raw data files which save your setup and part before it is sliced.
allows you to stop save and go back to it to edit or if you are using a different material to make changes to temp and extruder behaviour etc...
the layer you are referring to is difficult to get perfect. I tend to use a high % density with a 0.1 separation.
I have to admit you have done very well with that result so any better will require some sand paper.
so I don't see a need for a factory file to be honest. but they are very handy to save none the less. I save a factory file, G-Code file and X3G file (something my printer uses) so that I have at least a record of my work in all formats.
do a search for 'TIP OF THE DAY' one of the guys on here put a lot of work into explaining every feature. exceptionally useful.
Thanks a bunch! Maybe I will still post the file to see if you guys see any contradicting settings or anything.
Re: I am stumped why my surface quality above support is so
Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:17 pm
by Grifftech
Here is my FF
Re: I am stumped why my surface quality above support is so
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:15 am
by DarthRevan
Try increasing your dense support layers to 3 or more. You may also want to increase the dense support % to something like 85%.
For a better explanation, read
KeyboardWarrior's Support Tab Technical Analysis.
Let us know if that helps!

Re: I am stumped why my surface quality above support is so
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:49 pm
by Grifftech
DarthRevan wrote:Try increasing your dense support layers to 3 or more. You may also want to increase the dense support % to something like 85%.
For a better explanation, read
KeyboardWarrior's Support Tab Technical Analysis.
Let us know if that helps!

Will give it a try thanks!