DBFIU

please help with very thin support, I can't remove it.

Hi,

Please see picture below. I am trying to print this overhang, it is a couple millimeters deep (meaning the overhang is a couple millimeters long), the number of layers in the z direction is 3 (I think 4 layers, not sure). When it prints out, it comes out great, I just cant get the support structure out of that tiny gap. It is very hard to pull out, and most of the time it will just break and I am left with support structure inside the gap and it looks bad.

Assume I cannot modify the geometry and all I have are print parameters, I need to be able to remove the support structure.

Thank you
JoeJ

Re: please help with very thin support, I can't remove it.

You could always just customize your support structures to remove the tiny ones that you can't get to
JFettig

only real way to do it is soluble support.
dsegel

A few ideas:

1. Make the support resolution bigger, like 8mm instead of the default 4mm. This will use less support but still may work.

2. Increase the separation distance (Horizontal Offset from Part) in the Support tab to 0.4mm or maybe even higher.

3. Don't use any dense support layers.

4. Decrease the Support Infill Percentage.
KC_703

Good recommendations provided.

You'll need to know the bridging tolerances of your machine. I try to use 10-20% supports for easier removal (my machine has no issues bridging 5-8mm with a thick layer height). Don't let the supports sit on the project overnight, remove as soon as you can.

For the tiny gap, use a dental pick to dig out the supports... could also try rotating the angle of the support so that its parallel to the overhang. Whatever you're trying to fit it on may do the job of "removing" the supports for you.
dsegel

Rotating the support angle is a good idea in most cases. You want to make it perpendicular to the layer lines right above it for easiest and cleanest removal. In this case that wouldn't work all the way around because the model is circular, but it's a good tip to remember for the future.
KC_703

Well... rotating the support angle really depends on you print. Make them perpindicular to the infill pattern for best support... having it parallel sort of defeats the purpose. :)

In this case with concentric infill, it doesn't really matter. But could help with removal of the supports.
JFettig

I did design my own support in a situation kind of like this that was very easy to remove. I designed it as radial support and it worked 100x better than normal support. Design it as a separate STL file with your clearance built in. It broke away freely. Still on a small groove, I think you'll have issues getting it out of there.

forgot the pic:
DBFIU

Hi everyone thank you for the replies.

I was contemplating creating radial supports like was shown here.

I will try the tips mentioned. As of now, I have been able to remove the support using a dental pick and patience. Although I would really like the support to break free easier, it was a PITA.

The part doesnt look too bad, I think I will experiment with different settings.

Are you sure that INCREASING the support resolution is better then decreasing? Why is that?

Thanks
JoeJ

I'm not sure I agree with that. Increasing the support pillar resolution isn't going to make a difference since it still uses all the other settings like support infill percentage to determine how much material gets placed in there.

So I might try the other suggestions first before changing that ;) In fact, I think a smaller support pillar resolution would actually help the support material match your part better, so I don't think I would increase it.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”