Page 1 of 1

Layer Peeling/Warping on small details - PLA brands?

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:11 am
by mitchfx
This is something that I’ve been experiencing with certain brands of PLA on the Dremel/Dreamer to get your take on possible cause and solutions. I’m finding when printing using my favorite Push Plastic PLA that areas of small horizontal detail overhangs tend to get a little warped or peeled up, which normally occurs mostly on the RIGHT side of the model in relation to the build platform (nozzle travels counter clockwise). This same problem doesn’t seem to happen when using MakerGeeks or MatterHackers PLA, and I’m wondering if it has something to do with cooling properties being different between these brands. The fact is happens primarily on the side that is farthest away from the cooling fan duct (left side of nozzle) makes me suspect this may be the culprit. I’m usually printing between 195 and 200c and wondering if anyone has ideas on how to minimize this issue.

I’ve attached an image comparing the print of the same model on the Dremel using both MatterHackers (left) and Push (right). If you look at the upper eyelid you can see the difference.
eyelid_compare01.jpg

Re: Layer Peeling/Warping on small details - PLA brands?

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:25 am
by jimc
that is a pretty good overhang there. could be due to temps and cooling. you can try to bump the temp down 5 deg at a time. all plastics and even colors have different printing temps. second, the filament dia can make a difference. did you tune your multiplier and filament dia for both spools of filament?