Model As OUTLINES Guide Only?
Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:18 pm
Is there a way to force a model to be used by S3D to define outline perimeters only? I have a model I'm creating in 3ds Max that is basically thin, curved parts that are all flat to the floor surface. What I want to be able to do is have Simplify use these shapes as a path for laying down a layer (or layers) of extrusion and define a SPECIFIC WIDTH in S3D using the Extrusion Width value and let the nozzle trace out my parts with a single outline along this path.
If I make the walls of my 3d model thin enough that S3D doesn't try to do two or more perimeters (which I do NOT want), it seems to want to simply ignore the model. In other words if my model has a wall thickness of 0.2mm and I set the Extrusion width to 0.45 then it gets skipped in the slicing preview. If I make my model's walls thicker to be closer to 0.45mm, then it often ends up getting "double" traced with two outlines which looks much less clean and pretty than a single outline.
Pretty confusing to try and explain but hopefully someone will understand my question
If I make the walls of my 3d model thin enough that S3D doesn't try to do two or more perimeters (which I do NOT want), it seems to want to simply ignore the model. In other words if my model has a wall thickness of 0.2mm and I set the Extrusion width to 0.45 then it gets skipped in the slicing preview. If I make my model's walls thicker to be closer to 0.45mm, then it often ends up getting "double" traced with two outlines which looks much less clean and pretty than a single outline.
Pretty confusing to try and explain but hopefully someone will understand my question