Page 1 of 1

What Support Material?

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:43 pm
by tenaja
I am looking for your experiences--what support material have you guys had success with? I'd like to try some, but there seems to be mixed results...some people swear by pva, some swear at it, etc.

Accuracy is my primary concern, then second is ease of use. Within reason, cost is not that big of a deal. I'd like to print the part in ABS, but I am open to a "similar" material.

Thanks.

Re: What Support Material?

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:49 am
by Rebekah_harper
two key things you need to know.

PVA works with PLA and not ABS. it's water soluble but takes a while. (water is free)
HIPS is for ABS. is sluble in lemonene which smells fruity fresh but takes a while and is not free.

I've tried both. PVA can ruin your nozzle if it's too hot. it turns in to a compacted power. right pain in the peverbial. HIPS behaves like ABS so it's pretty alright, just hate cleaning it all off.

I tend to use ABS to support ABS. with the right settings it peels away nicely and the finish is pretty decent.

Becky