KeyboardWarrior

Tip of the Day 31 - Working with Processes and Profiles

Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:13 pm

Simplify3D has a great system in which you can setup processes. A process is your slicing settings that you can apply to models on your print bed. This allows you to setup multiple processes for a single print, which has countless possibilities. For instance, if you are printing seven models, and want different infills/perimeters/speeds/layer heights for each one, you could do that through using seven processes. Likewise, if you had six models on your bed and wanted three of them with 100% infill, and three of them with 0% infill, you could create two processes and set that up. If you've used the Dual Extrusion Wizard, that will quickly setup and group two processes for you which makes things particularly easy.

For setting up multiple processes for a print please see these links:
Dual Extrusion Wizard
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/tuto ... extruders/
Different settings for different parts
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/tuto ... -printing/
Different settings for one part
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/tuto ... f-a-model/

To recap, a process contains your slicing settings and can be applied to different models on your print bed.

One common mistake with the process system is stacking up unneeded processes in the list:
Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 12.51.37 PM.png
Reasons why keeping a running list of processes is not recommended:

- For prints that take multiple processes such as Sequential Printing (1 process per part), you'll quickly run out of room when stacking these new processes on-top of your processes that you are storing in this section.
- If you select slice and then just pick the process you want to slice your model, it will not change your current Build Dimensions, Firmware Configuration or Bed Model when slicing. You need to open the FFF Settings window, and then click Okay to enable these overrides. If you have more than one printer, this means that using this workflow will lead to errors.
- When using features such as the Dual Extrusion Wizard, it will not give you the choice to select Processes you've created, it looks for Profiles, which is why it's important to save your settings as a Profile.
- Using the Configuration Assistant will delete all processes and only leave the newly selected file, which can be frustrating.
- Dual extrusion wizard will delete all processes and only leave the newly created processes, which can be frustrating.

Recommended workflow
- The first step would be to go to Help-->Configuration Assistant and select the printer profiles you need.
- Then it's recommended to use the Save as New and Update Profile buttons to create a running list of printers and settings
Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 1.09.02 PM.png
- After you have these setup, you would just need to select Edit Process Settings and then select the Profile you'd like to use.
- Using this method will make the software much more intuitive and user friendly overall, so I highly recommend this workflow! :D

KC_703

Re: Tip of the Day 31 - Working with Processes and Profiles

Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:49 pm

Profiles are extremely flexible to manage many printing situations. Another thing to note is the "Auto-configure for Material" and "Auto-configure for Print Quality" can be used to store presets for common print situations... all within the Profile.

This is probably just scratching the surface of stored parameters:
- "Profile": Nozzle, Print Speeds and a foundation for all other parameters.
- "Auto-configure for Print Quality": Layer Height, Perimeters, Top and Bottom layers, Infill %, Skirt/Brim
- "Auto-configure for Material": Temperature (Heated Bed / Extruder), Cooling, Extruder Multiplier

I find storing these help bridge the S3D gap between layers and measured height... translating the "Cross-section" Tools measured height to layers.

TL;DR - Experiment with parameters and familiarize between the different Quality and Material stores for more flexibilty

My general workflow - knowing that ABS is optimal for my printer entails dropping the heat bed to 100C and starting the fan when the project reaches 4mm in height:
- Select a "Profile" based on the filament material, print speed along with nozzle size (ie ABS_N5_Fast, ABS_N4_Medium, PLA_N4_Slow, PLA_N3_Slow)
- Select a "Quality" which is really the layer height (ie. Fine_Brim, Medium_Skirt, Coarse) which results in a stored thickness for getting the rigt perimeters and top/bottom layers (ie Thick = 2mm perimeters and top/bottom; Thin =1mm perimeters and top/bottom)
- Select a "Material" based on the filament and Quality (ie. ABS_Fine, ABS_Medium, ABS_Coarse) so that the heatbed and cooling start at the proper layer corresponding to 4mm.

The filing and different parameters are built over time... the import thing is to NOT overwriting your base profiles. :)

Sorry for getting into the weeds... hope it helps someone.

dvation

Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:31 pm

Different settings for different parts

It seems as though 3.x has changed just enough that I can't seem to figure this out using the above documentation.

In 3.x, how can I print multiple models at the same time (not 1 at a time) using different processes for each model? [e.g. 3 cubes, each with different fills at the same time)

KeyboardWarrior

Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:18 am

dvation wrote:Different settings for different parts

It seems as though 3.x has changed just enough that I can't seem to figure this out using the above documentation.

In 3.x, how can I print multiple models at the same time (not 1 at a time) using different processes for each model? [e.g. 3 cubes, each with different fills at the same time)
You would just need to use three processes, then use the "Select Models" button to assign each process to certain models.

dvation

Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:39 pm

KeyboardWarrior wrote:You would just need to use three processes, then use the "Select Models" button to assign each process to certain models.
I feel like such a bum. I didn't notice that button down there in the process editor. /sigh. Thank you :D

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”