Page 1 of 1
Parts not only part
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:58 pm
by efes
Hello
this :
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:529837
not with arms basic parts simplify3d ???
repetier in one parts :
bug or setup ?
thank you for helping
Re: Parts not only part
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:05 pm
by jimc
the model is 3 separate parts. the designer never joined the arms to the body.
Re: Parts not only part
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:38 pm
by dkightley
I've downloaded the part....and there's fresh air between the arms and the body when I look at it in the preview!!
Edit:
Having looked at the .stl, it's not a straightforward fix. There's only one mesh....so it's not simply a matter of moving the two separate arm meshes so the interlace with the body. The arms are joined by a single line at the top...with a small gap at the bottom.
Re: Parts not only part
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:14 pm
by KC_703
The model is definitely strange at the arms...
A band-aid fix may be setting the "Horizontal Size Compensation" (Other tab) to 0.1. This fixes the gap in the arms so the model will print. But it may adversely affect the fit of the duct....
Re: Parts not only part
Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:59 am
by Tetraodon
If you look at the mesh, the gaps are actually in the mesh itself, rather than the software being buggy. It actually seems to think that most where the gap is is manifold, so I suspect it won't be trying to "fill" any gaps.
Re: Parts not only part
Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:09 am
by efes
I do not know to use 3d software ...
a person who want to help me please ...
for a single parts
thx
Re: Parts not only part
Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:38 am
by CT4
As every one has said the model is badly drawn. Fixing it would require some serious work. How ever there is a quick and dirty fix that S3D can do.
In the FFF settings go to the other tab and look for Dimensional Adjustments. I have put some screen grabs up to show you as you said that you did not know S3D very well. Normally the setting there is 0.00. I changed this to 0.10 and as the screen shots show it joins the part, I did manage to get it as low as 0.07 and it still worked. Now be aware that this will change the size of your print by 0.07 mm, to be honest I doubt you will notice it on the final print. As I said not the right way to do it but this will get you out of trouble.
S3D is an awesome slicing program, it is very accurate and will show up and reproduce any mistakes in the drawing.
Re: Parts not only part
Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:43 am
by efes
a big thank-you !

Re: Parts not only part
Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:11 pm
by Tetraodon
+1 for the horizontal size compensation - I had a look at fixing it in Blender but it was pretty messy unfortunately (not always the best tool for fixing things, though)