Page 1 of 1

X/Y Axis Movement Speed Questions

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:50 am
by mitchfx
I'm doing 0.1 layer height prints on my Dremel Idea Builder and normally have the base speed at 30mm/s with outlines at 60% for the best quality with reduced ringing, etc. The X/Y rapid movement speed defaults to 120mm/s but I'm wondering if I should try lowering that to around 80mm/s to avoid vibrations and sudden movement changes. I'm not sure if it would even help, or possibly even make things like stringing worse if the travel moves are slower.

Re: X/Y Axis Movement Speed Questions

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:12 am
by KeyboardWarrior
Most prints don't have enough movement travels to cause rattling. In my experience, rattling is caused by really jagged infill patterns. In the picture below, you can intuitively see why having one straight line filling in would be preferable to having the back and forth infill pattern. Using the setting in the Advanced tab for Gap Fill and raising it can help create more straight perimeter lines rather than the infill which causes shaking of the printer in many cases.

Image

Re: X/Y Axis Movement Speed Questions

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:48 am
by mitchfx
Great bit of info. Thanks for the tip. I am still wondering about the possible advantages and disadvantages of using a lower travel move speed. Like I said I usually print between 15-30mm/sec and my X/Y movement defaults to 120mm/sec. I'm curious if it is recommended to lower it when the printing speed is so slow.

Also, with the design of the gantry and bed platform in the Dremel there is actually a lot of vibration during travel moves. The plexi platform is only held in via 3 plastic clips which is probably part of the problem.

Re: X/Y Axis Movement Speed Questions

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:54 am
by mitchfx
I just checked the preview on one of my prints. I see no jaggie infill patterns like in your example at all since my models are fairly large and round shapes (human busts)
Capture.JPG

Re: X/Y Axis Movement Speed Questions

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:10 pm
by KC_703
If the print speed rattles the doors / plexi... wouldn't it just be common sense that you're printing too fast?

Re: X/Y Axis Movement Speed Questions

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:54 am
by mitchfx
Possibly, but any slower than 18mm/sec (which is what my outlines are printing at now) to 30mm/sec (for infill) I'm looking at 2 days for a single print! That is why I'm asking if slowing down the NON PRINTING travel moves might be a good idea. They default to 120mm/sec.

Re: X/Y Axis Movement Speed Questions

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:12 pm
by KC_703
I would say yes. If something is rattling from the vibrations, something will break...

Figure out how to stop the rattling... whether tightening some screws or slow the machine down.

Models will take longer to print when you slow down the print... obviously. But they will also be more accurately reproduced. Its a compromise. Just need to figure what you're willing to live with.

Lastly, patience is a virtue...

C'mon man...