spineytoad
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:23 am

testing upper part of a model

I need to test the upper part of a model to see how the print comes out, I don't want to print the whole thing to get to the upper part of the object only to find it didn't work and I wasted the lower half worth of plastic. Is there a way to start a print at a certain layer and have that layer sit on the bed not floating above it. Doing this I wouldn't have to create another model of the top half of the original model, import it, adjust the process to print from 0. I would just like a way to print the model from the bed starting at a particular layer.
thanks
JoeJ
Posts: 1435
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:52 am

Re: testing upper part of a model

Yea, just drop the part of the model that you don't want to print below the build table surface. Then it will be ignored and not printed.

They do the same thing at 0:35 of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5rLVYpeoXU
spineytoad
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:23 am

Re: testing upper part of a model

Nice, thanks. One other question, will the profile follow it and skip the part that is under the bed?
JoeJ
Posts: 1435
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:52 am

Re: testing upper part of a model

Yes, it will work without any extra changes. Just drop it below the bed and you're done
spineytoad
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:23 am

Re: testing upper part of a model

I have multiple profiles on a model, that is the profile I need to test, it is about 70mm up. It is set to start printing at 70mm, that doesn't seem to change to 10mm if I move the model down 60mm.
JoeJ
Posts: 1435
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:52 am

Re: testing upper part of a model

Oh, well yes, if you're talking about the start/stop printing at height options, then yes, you need to adjust those since the Z-position has changed

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”