Page 1 of 1

How To Reduce Warping of PLA?

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:01 pm
by mitchfx
I often have issues with PLA overhangs and support edges curling up or warping during a print (not necessarily during the first layer) and have been doing some research on how to minimize this. Half the tips I read say to insulate the build chamber and prevent cooling too fast, the other half say to increase cooling and airflow. The main culprit appears to be thin, isolated areas of the perimeter that curl up and eventually get bumped by the nozzle as it passes over, making the entire platform teeter on the springs then bounce back. I'm sure this is cascading into inaccuracies and other issues in the print.
pla_curling.jpg

Re: How To Reduce Warping of PLA?

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:24 pm
by mitchfx
Looks like my plastic cooling fan died. That might explain this and many other problems that started a day ago :)

Re: How To Reduce Warping of PLA?

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:13 am
by JoeJ
If I get curling like you described, I typically either lower the extruder temperature a bit or increase cooling