Page 1 of 1
solid layer where there shouldnt be one.
Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:14 pm
by Rebekah_harper
hiya every one.
I have a problem.
this image below is a cross section of a cap. its open at the bottom and has a top solid layer.
for some reason it's put a solid layer at the opening. and as you can see put the support on top.
there is no raft selected so there shouldn't be one. there is no merge outlines into a solid selected.
it simply shouldn't be there but for love nor money can I figure out why it's there.
Re: solid layer where there shouldnt be one.
Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:14 pm
by dkightley
There must be an error in the mesh. I get exactly the same...but running the shape through NetFabb's online repair service sorts the problem out.
Attached is the repaired stl
Re: solid layer where there shouldnt be one.
Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:58 pm
by jimc
x2
try changing the layer height by .01-.02 mm and see if it still does it. many time when this happens the mesh error lines right up with a layer. altering the layer lets it skip the error.
Re: solid layer where there shouldnt be one.
Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:43 am
by Rebekah_harper
cool, I will try the mesh repair.
I can't go to 0.2mm layer height with a 0.2mm nozzle but the layer height in the FFF should be 0.05mm
cheers
Becky
Re: solid layer where there shouldnt be one.
Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:20 am
by jimc
No, change the layer height by .01 to .02mm. Up or down 1 point, doesnt matter
Re: solid layer where there shouldnt be one.
Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:14 pm
by Rebekah_harper
sorry, miss read that.
in the mean time I found out that the dimensional adjustment caused the issue. I sometimes use that to compensate for any slight size issues I missed in the design.
but when I have it at 0 the solid layer doesn't appear.
if there is an issue with the mesh that is emphasized with the above then I wonder what calculations go on in the back ground.
Re: solid layer where there shouldnt be one.
Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:06 pm
by jimc
S3d is very sensitive to errors in models. This odd slicing behavior is not something new or a problem with the scale functions or anything like that. This has been happening since i started using it in v1.1.5. It seemed to get less sensitive at one point but now its back to being more. That could just be my imagination. Repair of the model is always the best choice but some quick options like i said are to change layer height, scale, first layer height, etc. anything to make the slicing layers land in a different spot on the outer wall of the model.