bray.christopher
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:24 pm

Dense Support Layers

The "dense support layers" feature is great, but.....

When I set dense support layers, it adds them to the top and BOTTOM of the supports.

What is the purpose of having dense support layers at the bottom of the supports?

Am I misunderstanding something? Is there a setting I am missing?
User avatar
KeyboardWarrior
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:02 pm

Re: Dense Support Layers

bray.christopher wrote:The "dense support layers" feature is great, but.....

When I set dense support layers, it adds them to the top and BOTTOM of the supports.

What is the purpose of having dense support layers at the bottom of the supports?

Am I misunderstanding something? Is there a setting I am missing?
I've found the dense support layers are best with dissolvable support material. Using dissolvable support material, you'd want as much adhesion as possible to your part, since it won't negatively effect surface quality so Dense Support Layers can help with that.

If you're using dense support layers with dissolvable filament, it's usually best to change it to Zero Upper/Lower Vertical Separation Layers in the settings as well, increase support/adhesion as much as possible.

I would not suggest using Dense Support Layers for prints using PLA/ABS, unless you scaled the numbers back a lot, for instance 15% support infill with 30% dense support infill. For an extremely large print, that could help with print time and filament savings.
bray.christopher
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:24 pm

Re: Dense Support Layers

"I would not suggest using Dense Support Layers for prints using PLA/ABS, unless you scaled the numbers back a lot, for instance 15% support infill with 30% dense support infill. For an extremely large print, that could help with print time and filament savings."

Yup. That is what I am doing. I am setting the support infill to 10% and setting the dense layers to 3 layers of 30%. I figure this will save time and material.
KC_703
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:23 pm

Re: Dense Support Layers

I utilize the dense support layers in the same way. Starting with 10% then setting up a multi layer (2-3) dense support with 70-80%. The dense layers provide a better print platform, which should provide a more accurate first layer of the overhang (no bridging between supports).

I've never noticed the dense support layers on the bottom... possibly in a cavity, but not on the print bed. Having a dense support layer at the bottom and top of a cavity seems to adhere to the definitition or intent according to the tooltip "...interface between the part and the normal sparse support...".

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”