erniehatt
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:31 pm

Stringy Bits

Hi, probably a stupid question, but is it possible to stop the stringy bits from forming across empty spaces, I have tried a few things but they dont seem to do any good. Ernie
wfcook
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:32 pm

Re: Stringy Bits

Try this on the extruder page

Retraction ON, set it to something like 2mm to start. I use 3.5mm but this depends on your hotend\
Retraction Speed: 25mm
Coast at End ON: 0.8mm - this is the magical setting
Wipe Nozzle OFF
User avatar
dkightley
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Stringy Bits

Coast at End ON: 0.8mm - this is the magical setting
Just a footnote......note that the preview will now appear to have lots of small gaps in the extrusion. This is actually where the coasting is taking place!

It had me foxed when I first used coasting.....until I realised exactly was happening. ;) ;)
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
erniehatt
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Stringy Bits

Thanks Fella's, for the help appreciated. Ernie
erniehatt
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Stringy Bits

[quote="wfcook"]Try this on the extruder page


Retraction Speed: 25mm
/quote]

Was this a typo, because the figure did not work for me, in another post I was told that this would not work, and it was correct. 3000 was a better figure to use. Something else I have learnt.
User avatar
dkightley
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Stringy Bits

I do believe the above suggestion for retraction speed was 25mm/sec...... and if you have your speed setting in Tools/Options set to mm/min, then you'll need to set the retraction speed to 25 x 60 mm/min...ie 1500 mm/min.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
erniehatt
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Stringy Bits

Thanks for explaining that Doug , something else I've learnt.Great place this forum.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”