Hiring Options
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:20 pm
Not wishing to insult anyone (and I am definitely not looking for a job!), I noticed a vacancy on the S3D job board for a software devloper. Amongst the prerequisites are "must have Bachelors Degree".
Two thoughts with regard to this. In my long career I've worked alongside some 'University of Life' people who were just outstanding - they never had the priviledge of financial resources to commit to several years at Uni, and also some with extensive paper qualifications who couldn't chew gum and walk at the same time. Also, there are some household names who made it big without qualifications.
Also, whilst the paper qualification confirms that on date 'X' you achieved the required standard to be awarded the honour, a degree granted 20+ years ago might not be particularly relevant in today's industry. For example, 20 years ago we were all struggling to get Windows 95 working and the public Internet was just emerging from the shadows. So an ancient degree might not be a good indicator of someone's current worth.
In my day of chasing job opportunities I occasionally came across a stipulation that stipulated ' must have a minimum 2.1 degree), which ruled me out (I was the University of Life candidate). But I was conversant with and earning a living with bleeding edge technologies.
Two thoughts with regard to this. In my long career I've worked alongside some 'University of Life' people who were just outstanding - they never had the priviledge of financial resources to commit to several years at Uni, and also some with extensive paper qualifications who couldn't chew gum and walk at the same time. Also, there are some household names who made it big without qualifications.
Also, whilst the paper qualification confirms that on date 'X' you achieved the required standard to be awarded the honour, a degree granted 20+ years ago might not be particularly relevant in today's industry. For example, 20 years ago we were all struggling to get Windows 95 working and the public Internet was just emerging from the shadows. So an ancient degree might not be a good indicator of someone's current worth.
In my day of chasing job opportunities I occasionally came across a stipulation that stipulated ' must have a minimum 2.1 degree), which ruled me out (I was the University of Life candidate). But I was conversant with and earning a living with bleeding edge technologies.