peps1
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:10 pm

Unsupported Area Threshold and TERRIBLE Bridging.

I'm getting really nice prints with PETG filaments with the fan turned off, but TERRIBLE Bridging!

I have tried the fan set to 60% and this gives me slightly worse prints with much better Bridging.

And also fan set to off, but to "Bridge Fan Override" set to 100% in Simplify3D.....but this has the same effect as no fan, and the fan doesn't seem to commit to being on with this setting while printing bridging, just a short feeble pulse?

I'm assuming this is down to the "Unsupported Area Threshold" setting being some limit to the size of the bridge before the fan kick in.

But, I'm a little confused to why the setting is not just in mm rather then sq mm?

How can I set it up to actually ramp up the fans for even short (10mm) bridges.
CompoundCarl
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:23 am

Re: Unsupported Area Threshold and TERRIBLE Bridging.

Post your factory file and a picture of where you want the bridging to occur. Should be really easy to help you then.

And I have a feeling the bridging setting is in area (i.e. mm^2) because the actual length of each infill extrusion will change depending on the orientation. So the area is the only constant value you can use for the setting.
peps1
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:10 pm

Re: Unsupported Area Threshold and TERRIBLE Bridging.

FFF attached, and here is where I'm having the bridging issue on the 3DBenchy torture-test. (attached the SLT too.)

Image
BROOK - PETG.fff
(10.13 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
3DBenchy (1).stl
(10.76 MiB) Downloaded 420 times
bray.christopher
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:24 pm

Re: Unsupported Area Threshold and TERRIBLE Bridging.

This may or may not help.

On the OTHER tab, in the Bridging box, there is a setting called Extra Inflation Distance. This defines how much of the bridge is on "land". I discovered this while printing an XT part and notice some bridging completely missing and dibbling into the air. I never had this problem with PLA.

By default it is set to 0mm.

I have set all of my profiles to use 1mm. The more the merrier probably.

Sorry. I don't know how to resize the images.....

Image

0mm
Image

1mm
Image

2mm
Image

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”