KrazyJim

A notes section

1) When I am troubleshooting the quality of a complex part, or just trying to dial in a new filament, I currently have to keep written notes of the changes I have made.

What I would like to see is a 'notes box' in the upper left hand side of the home screen. In it I can note that coast was changed to X, and retract was changed to Y or whatever I have changed. This would make it easy to see. Now I have to go into the individual items of print settings and compare to hand written notes. Usually I have to save and open a series of factory files and click down into the settings. Really not productive and the notes always seem to disappear.

Thanks
Jim H
CompoundCarl

Re: A notes section

Personally, I take notes in the top of my starting script. Just put a ";" before each line. That way it's always saved in my profile as well as in the top of my gcode file. So even if I happen to lose the profile, I can always open a gcode file I printed previously and see what notes I was taking and what changes I was making at that time.
BaronWilliams

+1

Notes are easy to add and can be extremely useful.

I would like to see several optional note areas in the software:
  1. Factory Specific Notes
  2. Model Specific Notes
  3. Process Specific Notes
  4. Filament Specific Notes
  5. Print Quality Specific Notes
  6. Extruder Specific Notes
  7. Profile Specific Notes
jhaupt

I know this is an old topic but +1. A notes panel in the FFF settings window would be extremely useful.
barthyone

Information Tab

I wouldn't mind having an info tab with a textbox that would allow me to enter and save notes to a profile - things like script snippets, fine adjustments, temperature tweaks, observations and other sundry information. I currently do this with comments in the Starting Script tab, but this is asking for trouble since scripts get executed and cause errors when I forget the semicolon.

I quickly lose track of all the Profiles I've created for every scenario. Rather, I prefer to have a few filament specific profiles, and make subtle changes on a case-by-case basis. This is where a notes field would be quite handy.
barthyone

Re: Information Tab

Oh boy, 3 years ago. I guess I shouldn't hold my breath. Perhaps this post will rekindle some interest.
kabali16

+2

This is actually a good suggestion. Helps a lot of this info is embedded in the gcode as well.
Kabali daww!!
Prusa i3 | Kossel
Simplify3D | Cura | Repetier Host | Octoprint
Radish

I bought Simplify3D 3 days ago and came to the forums to find out how to add notes to a profile. It seemed like such a useful thing that I was sure I wasn't looking in the right place. Since I'm wrong about being wrong and profile notes is not a feature, add my vote to the tally!

Right now my specific use case is I'm following these instructions to calibrate the extrusion multiplier for PETG. It would be great to be able to keep a log of results attached to my "PETG calibration" profile.

Thank you for your attention to this, developers!
prgenovese

Please make this feature something that makes it into the next release.
hartatak62

+1

I really really want to store notes in each profile I set up for my various machines and materials. Thanks!

-Brandon

Return to “Feature Requests”