Page 1 of 1

what happens if object is too large for print area?

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:00 pm
by nerys
I have a rocket I desgined. it is 240mm tall my print volume only goes to 125mm.

if I put this onto the print bed will the printer simply "stop" when it hits 125mm or will it keep extruding in a circle unable to go higher or worse TRY to keep going higher?

if it will just stop that would be perfect because then I could just drop the print "through" the print bed by 125mm and hit print again to print the top half and build them together afterwards. would be easier than making multiple STL files.

if it will not simply "stop" is there a way in simplify to truncate the object properly at 125mm? (or whatever the build height limit is)

?? thanks

Re: what happens if object is too large for print area?

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:44 am
by CompoundCarl
Just go to the Advanced tab, and enable the "stop printing at height" option. That way it will stop at whatever height you enter.

Another quick tip - if you drop part of the model BELOW the build platform, then that part won't be printed. So if you have a large part that you want to print in multiple pieces, you can just keep dropping it below the bed and use the "stop printing at height" feature until you've printed all the sections you need :D

Re: what happens if object is too large for print area?

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:25 am
by nerys
EXCELLENT that is what I was hoping for. I was aware of the ability to drop below print bed. thank you!