Page 1 of 1

Print holes

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:02 am
by datech
Am trying s3d to improve a few prints that Cura has problems with.
Most results are definitely better however a couple of small parts are coming out terrible.
Typical example attached.
This prints perfectly in Cura, the top coming out smooth and solid yet in s3d it leaves out the infill in the top.
Have tried solid layers etc but even in the preview mode it shows there are going to be problems.
Have taken it back to Cura where the same stl prints fine.
Have read the troubleshooting guide, searched youtube etc but I suspect I am missing something (probably obvious).
the Cura is silver s3d red. They print the same in the same filament. Different filament (both PLA) only for clarity.
Stl file below.
Wed Mar 30 10-53-07.jpg

Re: Print holes

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:23 am
by CompoundCarl
Post your factory file. It's hard to help much just from the STL..

Re: Print holes

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:07 pm
by datech
This is just the latest version of the FFF. Pretty much back to basics, its strange that the print is the same as the print preview. Seems unable to get any fill in the top section at all.

Re: Print holes

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:14 pm
by datech
Just an extra note.
I am getting pretty much the same result whether ABS PLA high quality, fast low or high end of heat range etc.
Have an Olsson block and same results with 0.2mm extruder.
I haven`t managed to get a single print preview with infill in the top section, hence it seems the top is just collapsing.

Re: Print holes

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:37 am
by CompoundCarl
Wow, that is an incredibly tiny part! I'm amazed you're even able to get a print that good with a bowden extruder like that!

With parts this small, cooling becomes a major issue. So you likely just need to work on improved cooling. You also need to be careful with how many retractions you are doing, since with the part being so small, having lots of retractions may actually be a bad thing.

You are currently limiting the fan speed to 30% in the cooling tab which is REALLY low for PLA. I would disabling the "increase fan speed for layers below XXX seconds" option and just use the normal per-layer fan speed options to leave the fan at 100% for the entire print. You may also want to try disabling retraction to see if that helps

Re: Print holes

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:50 am
by datech
That was my first thought but cooling doesn't seen to be the problem. I have manually set the fans to 100% during printing. The problem seems to be that even in the print preview, S3d doesn't even show the infil in the top so will not print but with Cura, it is there and prints without problem.
That's not the smallest item I regularly print either but my bed adjustment and bed support is heavily modified using digital readouts and springs replaced with more reliable parts etc.
If I could get s3d to "see/code" the missing layers, the unit is more than capable of printing them.
Thanks.

Re: Print holes

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:19 am
by dkightley
Try printing the attached.

I don't know what was wrong with the mesh.....but I've created a copy of the shape and imported it to replace your shape. I've also made a subtle change to allow the corners to print.

Re: Print holes

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:28 am
by datech
Thank you VERY VERY MUCH. Going out to try it now and will post asap.
Really appreciate your time.

Re: Print holes

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:18 am
by datech
Doug.
BEST PRINT YET!
Thank you.
Just saved to card and printed. Brilliant thank you.
Can I ask what software you used to draw/fix the stl?As soon as I looked at the print preview, all was there.
As most of my work is around 2mm:foot it would be great to know. I am always glad to get back to my Myford lathe and CNC converted mill and work in larger scales though!

Re: Print holes

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:51 am
by dkightley
Glad the print worked....

See this thread on TalkingTGauge to see what I use:http://www.talkingtgauge.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=361