DOD
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:18 am

3D Touch Help!?

Hi.
I am trying to get my dual head 3D touch to print, but not having much success.

I have tried the fff profiles as suggested in viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3113
But no luck!
I get the same problem as viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3543&hilit=3d+touch+profile

The only way I can print anything is with the default BFB 3D Touch profile that is created by the Configuration Assistant using the default settings.
However if I want to make any changes, eg Extruder Temperature, or Layer height it does not print. The printer displays an error "File Verify Error, File Line xxx".

Can anyone help?
What have you done to get your 3D Touch to print with S3D?
DOD
BFB 3D Touch Dual head
Firmware 5.3.1
CompoundCarl
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:23 am

Re: 3D Touch Help!?

So you're saying the 3D Touch profile that is included in the software works correctly? But when you make changes to the settings, it stops working?

I know the BFB machines are a lot more picky about how temperatures and things are set. Perhaps the changes you made are actually breaking the formatting and that's why you're getting the error messages.

Why don't you compare 2 of the BFB files, one that works and one that doesn't from after your changes. That should make it easy to pinpoint what changed.
DOD
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:18 am

Re: 3D Touch Help!?

Not quite CompoundCarl.
The default 3DTouch profile worked only with its default settings. These settings however were incorrect.
For example, the temp set for PLA was 230deg, where I am used to printing at 195deg. And the bed size is set to 275x275, which is much smaller than the actual bed.

As soon as I make the simplest change, it starts playing up.

I would often get Line Errors when I initiate a print, and I did in fact compare files in one print and found that a particular line read:
M104 S195 T0
but on the other file it read:
M104 S195

When I manually deleted the T0 it printed.
I dont know enough about Gcode to understand this, nor do I have the time or desire to learn it.

Another annoying thing is that even though it save the output file as *.bfb, the save dialog displays only *.gcode. So you never know what you are about to overwrite when you save, unless you check the files in windows explorer every time you save. Do you experience this as well?

The response I got from support had good intentions, but was way too technical for me to understand or implement.
I was hoping that "compatible with 3D Touch" actually meant "compatible with 3D Touch"!

Do you have a working profile that you can share?
DOD
BFB 3D Touch Dual head
Firmware 5.3.1
User avatar
dkightley
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: 3D Touch Help!?

The response I got from support had good intentions, but was way too technical for me to understand or implement.
You have three choices...
1) Go back to Support and say you don't understand how to implement their advice, and ask for a simpler to understand explanation of the solution.
2) Post the advice you were given here and ask for help implementing it from the user community.
3) Ignore the information, continue having issues and never know if the advice actually worked.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
DOD
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:18 am

Re: 3D Touch Help!?

Thanks dkightley.

I have asked support for more help, and they have given some advice, which didn't work. They said that the 3D Touch's configuration is an oddball

Unfortunately my trial period expires in a few days, and if I cant get it to work then I will be asking for a refund.

I have asked support to extend the trial, so I can try it out when I have more spare time. If they come to the party, I will happily post my results for other users to share.

I will post the outcome here....
DOD
BFB 3D Touch Dual head
Firmware 5.3.1
CompoundCarl
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:23 am

Re: 3D Touch Help!?

If the stock profile works, but it only breaks once you make a change, then you must be making the change in the wrong place. As they said, the BFB machines don't use standard gcode, so they are a bit more tricky to program. If I were you, I would just create a BFB file using the stock profile, then create another one after you make your changes. Then just do a text comparison of the 2 files. It should be pretty easy to spot the differences and see what's causing the problem.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”