Page 1 of 1

Extruder step motor pulsing in the middle of the job

Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:29 pm
by maverickf
Everything goes alright at the beginning, but the extruder step motor starts pulsing / jiggling in the middle of the job. I need to restart the printer (Printrbot), restart S3D and reconnect them, then everything is back to normal. Unfortunately it happens again when I start a new print. What would cause this problem? I didn't have such problem before using Repetier and Cura. It started happening after I installed S3D... Weird...

Please help. Thanks!

Re: Extruder step motor pulsing in the middle of the job

Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:17 am
by andrewk72
Well I guess the easiest way to figure out why that's happening would be to look at the commands that are being sent when the pulsing happens. If you can't see anything in the gcode commands that look abnormal during that time, then it's probably something with the firmware or electronics.

Have you checked your stepper drivers to make sure they have enough current? If the current is turned down too low, they start to make odd pulsing noises and stop turning.

Re: Extruder step motor pulsing in the middle of the job

Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:35 pm
by maverickf
andrewk72 wrote:Well I guess the easiest way to figure out why that's happening would be to look at the commands that are being sent when the pulsing happens. If you can't see anything in the gcode commands that look abnormal during that time, then it's probably something with the firmware or electronics.

Have you checked your stepper drivers to make sure they have enough current? If the current is turned down too low, they start to make odd pulsing noises and stop turning.

I will try again later tonight and check the gcode commands in S3D.

As to the stepper motor current, the current should be different in different software, right? I adjust the current in Cura before but only for X and Y axes, didn't touch Z and the extruder...