Page 1 of 1
Surprise Supports
Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:48 pm
by wattronix
In a simple box design (90 degree corners, vertical sides, horizontal top) (box shelled on bottom), requesting auto-generated supports puts support within shelled bottom opening.
Then a surprise set of external supports appear along the exterior walls when "Prepare To Print" icon is activated. These extra surprise are also printed out in the printed model.
Both automatic 'shell" and manual shelling of similar designs produce the surprise result.
Trusting someone has an answer...
Ron
Re: Surprise Supports
Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:14 am
by CompoundCarl
Why wouldn't you print that box with the top lid on the surface of the bed? You wouldn't need any support in that case...
Re: Surprise Supports
Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:21 am
by zemlin
Do you have Extra Inflation Distance in the Support dialog. That can generate support in goofy places. Try that at ZERO.
Re: Surprise Supports
Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:01 am
by wattronix
CompoundCarl wrote:Why wouldn't you print that box with the top lid on the surface of the bed? You wouldn't need any support in that case...
Thanks for your feedback. Yes, of course, I normally strive to avoid supports but I am counting on the closed top orientation to give me a better aesthetic look (surface finish) than I would expect if the top was turned upside down.
Regards.
Ron
Re: Surprise Supports
Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:09 am
by wattronix
Hello Zemlin,
You solved this one on the first try.
I changed the 3mm of Extra Inflation Distance in the file to zero and the surprise supports are gone.
Thank you very much.
Can you advise what the Extra Inflation Distance feature is normally used for, how it causes these surprises, etc.
There is no cloud notice appearing when I hover over it on screen to tell me more.
If I can understand its use, I can better use or avoid this feature.
Regards,
Ron
Re: Surprise Supports
Posted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:02 am
by CompoundCarl
The tip of the day topic stickied at the top of the forum has explanations for all these settings
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2135
Re: Surprise Supports
Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:41 am
by wattronix
Thanks for all the support.
Things are just fine now.
Ron