Page 1 of 1

1st layer "solid layer" allocated wrong speed

Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:52 am
by maker2
In bottom left of photo below there's a small length of "solid layer" fill that has, I think, been mistakenly allocated the speed setting used for the "inner perimeter".

Since this is the first layer that can have nasty consequences for adhesion.

This is not the first time I've seen S3d suddenly start moving FAST on an otherwise slow first layer so I thought I'd take the time to fill out a full report, even though here it lasts only a few millimetres!

Factory file attached.

Thanks.

feature.png
speed.png

Re: 1st layer "solid layer" allocated wrong speed

Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:32 am
by dkightley
For a "full report" I must admit to being very confused.

You say "In bottom left of photo below..." and attach two images. Are you referring to the top image or the bottom image??

Your factory file has the settings for the bottom image. How did you get the top image? There are obvious differences between the settings for the two first layers. The differences are vital to the subject of this issue!

Personally, I'd be more concerned about the settings for the top image that the bottom one. In this print, there are 3 perimeters specified and at the area in question, the filament extruded in the area where a combined third perimeter is being printed, it is not being extruded at the requested speed.

Re: 1st layer "solid layer" allocated wrong speed

Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:35 am
by maker2
Sorry.

The first image is set to show "Feature Type";

the second image shows "Movement Speed";

i.e. slice the factory file and then switch between these two settings on the preview page.

Re: 1st layer "solid layer" allocated wrong speed

Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:41 am
by dkightley
That explains things....

And I would be perfectly happy with what is shown. It can't get two perimeters in, so it provides the combined perimeters by invoking the "gap fill" feature...and prints at the same speed as the perimeters. What you see is not solid infill!!

Re: 1st layer "solid layer" allocated wrong speed

Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:49 am
by maker2
Hmmm.

Thing is, we only have one setting to control speed on the 1st layer (as far as I know!) the "First Layer Speed" which I've set to 50% here. (Sometimes go even lower in the case of wide and thick tracks.)

That's fine for many purposes (long strokes) but there's one thing it's not going to be fine for is "Gap Fill" (from the point of view of adhesion)!

So it's a bit upsetting to discover brusque movements in an otherwise stately first layer.

(The other occasion this occurs is in first layer XY movements and I find that problematic too, they are not slowed by the 1st layer underspeed.)

From the perspective that the purpose of the First Layer Speed setting is to promote adhesion, I'd say it's important that it does so intelligently. If anything that would mean "gap fill" should be even slower than "solid layer" fill on account of it's repeated tugging.

What do you think?