Page 1 of 1

Not serious but annoying all the same - massive rescaling

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:15 pm
by curious aardvark
I'm currently making components for really stupidly small radio controlled 'things' lol (people, cars, I have no idea I'm just making the parts)

Whenever I import an stl file into s3d that is less than 10mm across it automatically makes it ridiculously large.

It's not misreading the size of the object and they are all in millimetres. It's actually simply scaling it up to 2540 % of the original file.
Why that partiular number - I don't know. But it's the same every time.

When i change the scaling back to 100% - everything is the right size.

It's weird, it's annoying and it's definitely a bug (undocumented user feature)

So I'm reporting it :-)

Re: Not serious but annoying all the same - massive rescalin

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:25 pm
by dkightley
When you load the .stl, do you get a question: "Part seems to be extremely small and may be in inches format. Would you like to automatically scale to millimetre format?" ....and if so, which answer box do you click? Yes or No

Answering "Yes" will result in what you are reporting. Answering "No" will result in the object being correctly scaled.

If you don't get the question, select Options from the Tools dropdown and select the Models tab. Deselect the top Model Settings option "Automatically scale to correct unit system without prompting". Model will import...this time giving the above question.


And to answer your question Why 2540%. 1 mm = 100% ; 25.4 mm = 1 inch ; 1 inch = 2540%