S3D-Jake

Re: How to get a preview of you MACHINE

As CompoundCarl said:
CompoundCarl wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:43 am Once you have your own STL file for the printer bed, you can go to Tools > Options, Machine tab, and then add the printer model at the bottom.

Note that if you're using a profile that overrides your machine settings, then you will need to go to File > Export FFF Profile to save your profile to your hard drive, open it in a text editor, and edit the following 2 lines

<overridePrinterModels>1</overridePrinterModels>
<printerModelsOverride>C:\path\to\your\model.stl</printerModelsOverride>

Then just save the file and go to File > Import FFF Profile to load it back into the software
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
steuned

S3D-Jake wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:05 pm As CompoundCarl said:
wow, some really high dollar user support going on around here.
SJI

Where is this function in V5. Have tried the above solutions but not working for V5
Last edited by SJI on Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
HexHyte

dorsai3d wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:29 am You can also omit the file path altogether (using only the STL filename) if you put it in the same folder as the savedstate.factory and temp.gcode
OSX: ~/Library/Application Support/Simplify3D/S3D-Software
Windows: %APPDATA%\Local\Simplify3D\S3D-Software
After all these years, this still worked. thanks mate
DaveA

How do you do this in V5?
S3D-Jason

The process is very similar in V5. Export the profile by going to File > Export Printer Profile. Then open the file in a text editor and look for the following line:

<machineBackgroundModel></machineBackgroundModel>

Put the complete filepath for your printer bed STL file as the value for that tag. For example:

<machineBackgroundModel>C:\Users\John\Downloads\MyBedModel.stl</machineBackgroundModel>

Save the file, then go to File > Import Printer Profiles to load it back into Simplify3D. Now, anytime you select that profile it will automatically load the printer bed STL file which is displayed in gray in the 3D view.
studiokite

Yes I have put up this already too.

I can quickly change the workspace for the different machines I use in V4

having to edit a file each time I want to change it is a bit of a pain. All my settings are stored in factory files for each different config.

The feature has been removed in my opinion. Maybe put it back in the machine settings dialog. (output).
Attachments
workspace.jpg

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”