technosteve
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:44 pm

STL file loads but doesn't preview correctly

Having my first issue with Simplify3d. I'm trying to print out the attached file "air scoop", however, in the preview mode, in only wants to print a small portion of the file, with the rest missing.

Could the issue be that the part is to small? I'm doubting it though, as I have printed smaller parts successfully.
Attachments
air scoop.stl
(98.81 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
CompoundCarl
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:23 am

Re: STL file loads but doesn't preview correctly

There's some serious issues with that STL file. Lots of non manifold edges and bad faces. You can see many of these by using the Repair tools in S3D.

You need to repair the model first before printing it. Try using netfabb's repair service or something like that
technosteve
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:44 pm

Re: STL file loads but doesn't preview correctly

What is a manifold edge? What is a bad face? I'll just remake the part vs repairing it, in case I need to make adjustments to it later. I will just need to avoid making the manifolds and bad faces in the design, but can't avoid them if I don't know what they are.

Thanks!
User avatar
dkightley
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: STL file loads but doesn't preview correctly

Try using netfabb's repair service or something like that
It does work! I've tried it with your stl....and the repaired model will print!

https://netfabb.azurewebsites.net/
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”