Derrick wrote:It might be good also to get your calipers out and measure the extrudate, if you haven't already. It would be weird though if you have proper adhesion on the walls and gaps on the top of your part. That would indicate that the extrusion rate is different for the top vs. sides. If you only have 3 top layers and a poor support structure for the roof, the bottom 1-2 layers of extrudate for the roof may sag down a bit, meaning your effective volume to print is higher, because you're printing more in the Z direction (down). After a few (4-5) layers, this should even out though, even with a lot of sagging from a poor support. Also, if you're not already, I'd suggest printing slow (20-30mm/s) till you get a feel for your extruder. If you're using a flexible material, I'd say half that.
I am reading that slowing down could be good, maybe the gantry is just outrunning the extruder. The print with the tiny gaps in the top layer is the one pictured above (hard to see) and is at 2 shells, 3 top & bottom with 100% infill.
It is doing the perimeter much slower that the rest so maybe that is a factor. I had the print speed set at the default 3600mm/m. I'll try running the speed way down and see how the same print comes out.
All testing is being done with Makergeeks PLA. Also trying to dial temp in. Flexion says to reduce the temp by 10-15 because the thermistor is in a different place so the reading is off but it is pretty close to the original location. I printed ok as far down as 175 indicated, was printing the same stuff at 190. I think my temp test will be a part that can string easily and back the temp off until that stops but also I have not gotten into the retraction yet.
I think once this is dialed in and I understand what it needs it is going to rock out the prints on the QIDI!