studiokite

Internal support structure

Is there a way that simplify could print internal support just like it does on external overhangs.

This way I could use less infill and when it detects an internal overhang of 45 degrees it would make the appropriate support. This would speed up printing and reduce the amount of material I am using.
CompoundCarl

Re: Internal support structure

Just hollow the original 3D model so the interior isn't solid. Any decent CAD package already includes this functionality. There's also several STL editors that can do it too.
studiokite

Indeed. I just found this also.

I shell the models and it works.

Would be great to have it as an automatic feature.

If I then want to apply this to a solid model it will do both the outside and inside perimeter. I have tried messing with extrusion width but then I just get holes.
jmunkki

I usually print with 4 top layers and 3 bottom layers. This allows me to use a sparse infill and the first top two top layers end up being pretty bad. What would work better though would be to have an option to print higher density infill close to a top layer. Or, the ability to have bridging logic apply over internall infill and under top layers. All you really need is some sort of thin "spider web" to catch the extrusion and prevent it from drooping too much.

I can see how a shelled model with just automatic support would save more filament (and print time) in some cases. Say, a sharp cone with the tip cut off would only need support for the flat tip area.
studiokite

Yes I did a bone which was split in half. (Femur)

I can get some pictures but basically I ended up using infill on the base as there were only a few sections with +45deg overhangs.

For the last half of the bone I did another exact slice without infill and edited the gcode manually. it then worked up the model from about a third up doing a single perimeter only.

If I were to shell the model It then prints 2 perimeters and the part I am looking for, Good infill "internally"

only one side of the bone had a steep overhang so about 90% of the infill was a waste.

Return to “Feature Requests”