Beegmouse

Re: Profile handling

I would also like improved profile handling, and an output file with.
I would also like a copy of the profile used for each G-code stored somewhere with Date and time of the code generation in the filename.

Alternatively, the ability to Embed all S3D parameters into a G-code file and extract parameters from previously generated g-code.

We have multiple users who keep changing settings.

Tweaking and re-printing older jobs and getting the same result is difficult to manage.
dkightley

I think here we're looking at more than merely the way in which..and how much...set up information is stored..and theses "stores" managed. There needs to be a total review of the WORKFLOW of the printer and material set up...and the attachment of these settings to individual and groups of models.

Its clear from what users post on the forum that:
  • few understand the uses and benefit of Factory files
  • many thing a Factory file is a settings (.fff) file
  • many also store valuable sets of setting in the software "work area"
  • having to knife and fork common settings via a text editor into profiles is at best a pain, at worst "crap"
  • few want settings hidden away from their control
The whole way in which S3D "works" regarding workflow needs a total rethink and making so its possible for everyone to understand....and if they understand how it works, they'll use it...and if they use it, they'll find it nice to use...equals happy customers!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
zenador78

Edited - my earlier post has caused some config issues for a couple testers. I've removed it. If I can sort it out, I'll repost a method to accomplish the sort.

Z
Last edited by zenador78 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
S3D-Jake

Obviously, this is not supported functionality provided by Simplify3D.

if you're going to follow Zen's steps, I'd first include making an external backup of your FFF profiles.
And also after running the script change your execution policy back to restricted. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powers ... restricted

powershell > set-executionpolicy restricted
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
mpentenr

+1. Just do it ;-)
EvoOlli

I made a small tool for Windows to backup/restore all or some Profiles, reorder them and do a Registry Backup of all S3D Settings (even in Generations).
You can try it if you want. Free Download under

www.wiechens.de/download/S3DTool.zip

(Use at your own risk)
airsyspro

I totally agree that the profile tabs needs to allow us to organize them as we require. Directories for different printers would be good as well being able to sort the profiles per our need versus the date they were created.
wirlybird

Here is the response I got for this request.

"Thanks for the great request! Fortunately for you two fairly large threads about this topic exist already. Please continue discussions there.
viewtopic.php?t=8614
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5817
Thanks again!"

Obviously they have no interest in do this.

The "Profiles" list has to be stored somewhere. There must be a way to go and rearrange it.
jrpmedia

6 YEARS LATER - NO SUPPORT, NO UPDATE.
IDM Imagineering
Professional Equipment for SuperHEROs.
https://www.idmimagineering.co.uk
S3D-Jake

wirlybird wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:07 pm Here is the response I got for this request.

"Thanks for the great request! Fortunately for you two fairly large threads about this topic exist already. Please continue discussions there.
viewtopic.php?t=8614
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5817
Thanks again!"

Obviously they have no interest in do this.

The "Profiles" list has to be stored somewhere. There must be a way to go and rearrange it.
We certainly do have interest in making the profiles list easier to work with for our users. The unique combination of stability and customization options within Simplify3D is something we hope to continually provide. Your feedback in this area is definitely appreciated. I've documented the additional feedback from this thread for our team to review. Thank you for continuing to provide constructive and important feature requests.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “Feature Requests”