yonkiman
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:31 pm

[SOLVED] Help printing sections with different settings

I'm printing a model with rafts, supports, and I want a section in the middle to be 100% fill, with above and below at 20%. I'm following the fairly straightforward instructions on https://www.simplify3d.com/support/arti ... f-a-model/.

The problem is that when I view the gcode, the first two layers of the raft are on layers 5 and 9 and layers 1-4, 6-8, etc are the data that should be above the rafts. For some reason my printer (running Octoprint) DOES print the raft layers first (it even says it's printing layer 5, then layer 9, 12, 15, 17, 19, etc.), so the raft is printed, but as soon as the raft (layer 19 is printed) is done the printhead goes back down to layer 1 (which Octoprint says is layer 1), knocking the raft off the print bed and ruining the print.

So layers 5, 9, 12, 15, 17, 19 are printed at heights equivalent to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, but then it starts printing layer 1 at the correct height for layer 1 (i.e. 6 layers lower than the previous layer).

I've never had Simplify generate bad gcode before. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I've attached the gcode. TIA
FunkyGcode.zip
(3.01 MiB) Downloaded 137 times
Last edited by yonkiman on Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yonkiman
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Help printing sections with different settings

OK, I found the problem. Turns out the order you put the processes in matters. This order works:
order of processes.jpg
The order that didn't work was:
Pylons
Bottom
Top
Even though the processes had the information about what layers they should be used on, it looks like Simplify got confused when the first process on the list (from 50 to 60mm) didn't have a raft but the second process (from 0 to 50mm) did.

Lesson Learned: Make sure the order in this list goes from the process for the first layers at the top to the process for the last layers at the bottom.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”