GavinM
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:59 pm

[SOLVED] zig-zag solid layer help

I'm a new simplify3D user and am really impressed so far with the huge improvement in surface quality coming from Cura. Night and Day difference...looks like I'm using completely different filament.

I was hoping to get some advice on an issue that's causing my prints to take longer than I think is necessary. The attached picture shows how the file is sliced and a zig-zag solid layer is added to the perimeter (which occurs on every layer). I'm thinking this is related to the following settings:

top solid layers: 4
bottom solid layers: 4
outline/perimeter shells: 1
primary layer height: 0.200

I think the zig zag is present because it's trying to ensure there are 4 solid layers top/bottom, and to get rid of them I would need to reduce that number, but then the actual top/bottom of the object wouldn't be solid which is where my catch-22 is. Am I missing anything?
Untitled 1.001.jpeg
Last edited by GavinM on Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
CompoundCarl
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:23 am

Re: zig-zag solid layer help

Yes, you're correct. If you tell the software you always want at least 4 top solid layers and then you add a steep enough overhang, it will have to add additional solid infill on the top, otherwise you would have enough solid roof layers at that location.

So either lower the top/bottom solid layers or use more perimeters (since that will allow you to do steeper overhangs before you need to add extra solid fill)
GavinM
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:59 pm

Re: zig-zag solid layer help

Bingo! Thanks @CompoundCarl. More perimeters was the trick. Went from 1 to 2 and the zig zag went away. I feel dumb now.

I was using Cura before and I'm really impressed with the surface quality on my first Simplify3D print. It looks like I'm using different filament. The print came out great with the zig-zag, but I think I can shave some time off the print by getting rid of the zig-zag because it will eliminate all the extra acceleration time that's not factored into the print time calculation. I'll find out in a day or so.

-Gavin

finished print:
IMG_4483.jpg

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”