Derrick

Re: print speed updates in every material?

Use factory files.
Make a factory file for every material type, unique to each machine you use (if you use more than one). Get into the habit of saving. A lot.

In each factory file, save basic profiles - I usually do something like "T1-PLA-012" for PLA in the 2nd extruder with a 0.12 mm layer height. And then I have about 30 profiles. Note: saving the profile "update" in the Advanced view does NOT NOT NOT make changes to your factory file. You have to save it MANUALLY EVERY TIME. You will get frustrated.

Until S3D realizes how retarded their profile management is (and does something about it), this I've found is the least amount of pain to manage.
DarthRevan

Like I said. If you want to save everything and not use the auto-configures, because they're confusing and the settings they're linked to isn't made obvious, you can simply save a bunch of profiles. Saving factory files takes it another step further and saves the models with the settings. If you're going to the trouble of saving profiles for each possible filament you have, You can just select the profile you want to use form the drop down list, no need to load a factory file.

If I want to have my buddy print something, I'll send him a factory file. If I want to make my workflow easier I'll edit the auto-configures or save a ton of profiles. I choose to edit the auto-configures so my profile drop down list can remain somewhat small, despite having a multitude of printers that I work with regularly.
RubenRybnik

dloaec wrote:The process/profile management is simply catastrophic :shock:

It's frustrating to have an amazing software, that we can fine tune settings for each material/brand, but we are not able to save them in a proper way.

Please S3D guys, rethink and rewrite that part, we absolutely need it

Modifying xml files isn't a solution, it's a 'patch'...
lol... I totally agree, being a developer myself this seems like a feature where the developer came up with the requirements and didn't run it by anyone else... "What? It totally makes sense to me, not sure why everyone is having a hard time" lol

Anyways, I just purchased S3D and had I known how bad the settings saving process was I would have saved my money and kept using the multitude of other slicer options out there, it's really sad. S3D has such potential but this, along with no proper plugin system ( post print scripts do not count ) makes an otherwise great product fall short in some core areas. When will companies learn, if you enable your user base, open source non-propriety parts of your app and create an eco system around what you're trying to achieve you essentially get a free dev shop and publicity ( blogs, tutorials, etc.. )

Anyways, back on point... Yes, I realize editing the exported XML isn't difficult ( atom editor ftw ) however when you drop almost $200 on an app you really hope part of that price is to say goodbye to such hacks.

Does the S3D team read these boards? Like my second post here, another suggestion if they do ( if it doesn't exist already ) publicize your road map and surface a subset of features you're considering for development to be voted upon by the community.
CompoundCarl

I email with their support team a lot, and they've said that they have multiple people who read every post on this forum. There's been plenty of times I mentioned something and they had already seen it on the forums, so they definitely use these boards as a good source of feedback. For now, I would assume voting basically works by adding a "+1" or a comment to a feature you are interested in.

I think it would be great to start a feature request about a plugin system, and add some info about the exact capabilities you would want. I personally already have several different script that I run automatically using the post-processing commands, but hearing input from others about what exact abilities they want would surely help the developers.
freiser77

@CompoundCarl:

It's fine if they read the forum, but it would be even better if they would discuss with us. At the moment they seem pretty non existent.
CompoundCarl

This is a user forum, so if you want to talk to them directly, just send them an email:
https://www.simplify3d.com/contact-us/

I've used it many times. They usually respond within a day or less.
JohnOCFII

DarthRevan wrote:I see this trip people up fairly regularly, myself included. Creating a new material or quality option with the plus buttons in Simplify3D doesn't necessarily assign your newly saved settings to the newly created auto-configure option
Good stuff! Thanks.

I also agree with the others that it would be great if S3D could modify the GUI to more easily determine what settings can be tied to a material.

John
brunofporto

DarthRevan wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:18 pm
This same process can be repeated for Quality options. Heck, you can even toss your quality auto-configure sets inside of your material auto-configures, creating "material specific quality options" and qualifying yourself as a certified king of the castle. 8-)
I did this "material template"

Do I need to really put allllll those "global" configuration inside each quality or it can be like this:

Code: Select all

<autoConfigureMaterial name="PLA 3DFila">
  <!-- Extruder -->
    <globalExtrusionMultiplier>1.00</globalExtrusionMultiplier>
    <extruder name="Primary Extruder">
      <retractionZLift>0</retractionZLift>
      <useCoasting>1</useCoasting>
      <coastingDistance>0.2</coastingDistance>
      <useWipe>0</useWipe>
      <wipeDistance>5</wipeDistance>
    </extruder>
  <!-- Temperature -->
    <temperatureController name="Primary Extruder">
      <temperatureNumber>0</temperatureNumber>
      <isHeatedBed>0</isHeatedBed>
      <relayBetweenLayers>0</relayBetweenLayers>
      <relayBetweenLoops>0</relayBetweenLoops>
      <stabilizeAtStartup>1</stabilizeAtStartup>
      <setpoint layer="1" temperature="190"/>
      <setpoint layer="2" temperature="185"/>
    </temperatureController>
    <temperatureController name="Heated Bed">
      <temperatureNumber>0</temperatureNumber>
      <isHeatedBed>1</isHeatedBed>
      <relayBetweenLayers>0</relayBetweenLayers>
      <relayBetweenLoops>0</relayBetweenLoops>
      <stabilizeAtStartup>1</stabilizeAtStartup>
      <setpoint layer="1" temperature="60"/>
      <setpoint layer="2" temperature="60"/>
    </temperatureController>
  <!-- Cooling --> 
    <fanSpeed>
      <setpoint layer="1" speed="0"/>
      <setpoint layer="2" speed="50"/>
    </fanSpeed>
    <increaseFanForCooling>1</increaseFanForCooling>
    <minFanLayerTime>25</minFanLayerTime>
    <maxCoolingFanSpeed>75</maxCoolingFanSpeed>
    <increaseFanForBridging>1</increaseFanForBridging>
    <minFanLayerTime>25</minFanLayerTime>
    <maxCoolingFanSpeed>50</maxCoolingFanSpeed>
    <increaseFanForBridging>1</increaseFanForBridging>
    <bridgingFanSpeed>100</bridgingFanSpeed>
  <!-- Additions -->
    <useSkirt>1</useSkirt>
    <skirtExtruder>0</skirtExtruder>
    <skirtLayers>2</skirtLayers>
    <skirtOutlines>2</skirtOutlines>
    <skirtOffset>2</skirtOffset>
  <!-- Other -->
    <!-- Bridging -->
    <minBridgingArea>5</minBridgingArea>
    <bridgingExtraInflation>2</bridgingExtraInflation>
    <bridgingExtrusionMultiplier>0.9</bridgingExtrusionMultiplier>
    <bridgingSpeedMultiplier>1</bridgingSpeedMultiplier>
    <outlineOverlapPercentage>20</outlineOverlapPercentage>
    <!-- Filament -->
    <filamentDiameters>1.75|0|0|0|0|0</filamentDiameters>
    <filamentPricesPerKg>140|0|0|0|0|0</filamentPricesPerKg>
    <filamentDensities>1.27|0|0|0|0|0</filamentDensities>
  <!-- Quality -->
    <!-- Fast -->  
    <autoConfigureQuality name="Fast">
      <layerHeight>0.3</layerHeight>
      <topSolidLayers>3</topSolidLayers>
      <bottomSolidLayers>3</bottomSolidLayers>
      <skirtLayers>1</skirtLayers>
      <infillPercentage>35</infillPercentage>
      <supportInfillPercentage>25</supportInfillPercentage>
    </autoConfigureQuality>
    <!-- Medium --> 
    <autoConfigureQuality name="Medium">
      <layerHeight>0.2</layerHeight>
      <topSolidLayers>5</topSolidLayers>
      <bottomSolidLayers>4</bottomSolidLayers>
      <skirtLayers>1</skirtLayers>
      <supportInfillPercentage>30</supportInfillPercentage>
    </autoConfigureQuality>
    <!-- High --> 
    <autoConfigureQuality name="High">
      <layerHeight>0.1</layerHeight>
      <topSolidLayers>10</topSolidLayers>
      <bottomSolidLayers>8</bottomSolidLayers>
      <skirtLayers>2</skirtLayers>
      <supportInfillPercentage>40</supportInfillPercentage>
    </autoConfigureQuality>
  </autoConfigureMaterial>
Thank you!
DarthRevan

If you're going to include some of the extruder settings, you need to nest the whole extruder controller. The system won't save just the ones you've included and not include the others, so might as well include them so it doesn't confuse you with it's automated behavior.

Also, since you're then including the extrusion multiplier by way of the nested extruder controller you should not use the global extrusion multiplier tag anymore.

Also there are a few spots where you've include a setting twice (i.e. the cooling section and bridging sections include some of the same tags, I'd use just one tag per material, unless you're nesting them inside the quality settings for that material.

Otherwise, yes, you've achieved king of the castle status. 8-)
Sodgaard

At least how it would be great if S3D documented how all this works...

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”