technobabble
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:38 pm

Part sags in on itself

Hello,

I am trying to print out a lid for a part. I've been printing it like a bowl (see picture), however a consistent ridge along the outer part forms. It is about the same width around, which means that the part isn't shifting. Has anybody had this problem and solved it?

Material: ABS, black
Printer: FF Creator X with glass bed

Profile:
infill: 20%
support: none
outline overlap: 20%
Infill extrusion width: 102%
Cooling fan on
build chamber on (cardboard box)
Attachments
The arch in the bottom of the bowl consistently appears. It's always in the same place.
The arch in the bottom of the bowl consistently appears. It's always in the same place.
How it was printed (like a bowl)
How it was printed (like a bowl)
The ridge
The ridge
ftdesigns
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:27 am

Re: Part sags in on itself

In regards to that ridge, do you have an image of the 3D model we can see?

The mark on the bottom of the bowl is the extruder nozzle moving to close to that layer and melting the plastic. You can't do anything about that unless you somehow change the toolpath of the extruder.
wirlybird
Posts: 1374
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:32 pm

Re: Part sags in on itself

If the ridge is to the bottom when printing then I would say it needs some supports since it looks to be printing in air. Maybe the extrusion multiplier is a bit high also?
technobabble
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:38 pm

Re: Part sags in on itself

wirlybird wrote:If the ridge is to the bottom when printing then I would say it needs some supports since it looks to be printing in air. Maybe the extrusion multiplier is a bit high also?
When I added support (22% regular, 35% dense), it generated supports, but they didn't go as high as the ridge. I'm not sure if supports alone will work.

I tried printing it like an upside down bowl, and the ridge went away.

The extrusion multiplier does seem a tiny bit high (mm bumps where the head lifts off). Thanks for the suggestions.
dorsai3d
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:01 am

Re: Part sags in on itself

FYI, the arch in your first image is most likely an impression from your second extruder as it travels over the already printed part.
User avatar
dkightley
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Part sags in on itself

When I added support (22% regular, 35% dense), it generated supports, but they didn't go as high as the ridge.
For information, if you have this issue again you will need to add support manually.....which is quite easy to do. Try it now on this object so you get some practise....
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
technobabble
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:38 pm

Re: Part sags in on itself

For information, if you have this issue again you will need to add support manually.....which is quite easy to do. Try it now on this object so you get some practise....
I'll certainly look into it. Thanks Doug

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”