saltydreadbeard

Not Adding Support In Some Places

Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:30 pm

I am sorry if this is a beginner question, I am new to 3d printing and I just purchased simply3d. But I am totally lost. I am trying to print this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1953745

So there are clearly a number of sections with unsupported areas, most notably the bottom of the helmet. I am trying to figure out the right way to do this. It seems like I have to force simplify3d into added supports by setting the degrees to 10.

So here is the print from cura:

Here are supports added in simply3d:

I am just not sure if I am doing this right or if there is another to add this type of "support"? Maybe its not called supports what I am trying to add.

brian442

Re: Not Adding Support In Some Places

Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:53 am

From the picture, it looks like you were using too large of a support pillar size. Set the pillar resolution to 1mm, then change the angle back to 45 degrees or whatever you want. I suspect that will work much better. Otherwise, you may also want to post your factory file so that others can help.

saltydreadbeard

Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:27 am

brian442 wrote:From the picture, it looks like you were using too large of a support pillar size. Set the pillar resolution to 1mm, then change the angle back to 45 degrees or whatever you want. I suspect that will work much better. Otherwise, you may also want to post your factory file so that others can help.
Hi Brian,

Thank you for your response. If you notice I have set the pillar resolution to 1mm (I think?), unless that is not where you set that size?

kabali16

Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:04 am

The final picture with 1.0mm resolution looks good to me. what issues are you having while printing ?
Are you referring to the edge of the shoulder cap ? I believe that si curved and thats why there are no supports generated. You can add supports manually if you need to fill those minor segments
Kabali daww!!
Prusa i3 | Kossel
Simplify3D | Cura | Repetier Host | Octoprint

quarkhopper

Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:57 pm

I have been using this program for a couple months now, and it's really hard to trust their automatic support generation. It misses a lot. I have supports that mysteriously go missing when converted to gcode, supports that aren't generated under a clear overhang (completely horizontal... comon guys! Improve this please!), supports that, themselves, end up unsupported...

The thing I've learned is to include the process of generating supports in the time it takes to prepare a model for 3D printing. Even the most advanced algorithms still can leave you with a disaster if you aren't diligent.

S3D-Jake

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:32 pm

quarkhopper wrote: I have been using this program for a couple months now, and it's really hard to trust their automatic support generation. It misses a lot. I have supports that mysteriously go missing when converted to gcode, supports that aren't generated under a clear overhang (completely horizontal... comon guys! Improve this please!), supports that, themselves, end up unsupported...

The thing I've learned is to include the process of generating supports in the time it takes to prepare a model for 3D printing. Even the most advanced algorithms still can leave you with a disaster if you aren't diligent.
Are these experiences with version 4.1.1? Can you include your factory file(s)? This will help our development team to identify and attempt to reproduce any issues and attempt to fix them in a future update.

Thanks!
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

klauserg

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:22 am

I have a similar problem with 4.1.
Everything works fine most of the time.
Sometimes, when I start joining objects in Blender, even when Blende 3Dprint tool check passes all tests , no supports are generated.
I could not find out what really is causing this problem.
Also the repair tools in simplify3D don't find any issue with the mesh.
Attached an stl file and the related factory file where no support is generated, I have to print it like it is in the STL file.
For mechanical stability reasons I cannot rotate it to avoid the need for support.

thanks
Gerhard
Attachments
Carrera_Leitplankenhalter_1.1.stl
(12.97 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Carrera_Leitplankenhalter_1.1-Cube_000.factory
(6.99 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

S3D-Alex

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:10 am

It looks like the normals for the triangles of your STL are inverted or flipped. I would try going to Repair > Flip Surface Orientation and then click on any triangle that makes up the model. This will invert the normals for your part and seemed to make everything work alright when I tested it.

dkightley

Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:58 pm

Alternatively, you could use Win10's app 3DBuilder to repair the shape file.

Repaired file attached....
Attachments
Carrera_Leitplankenhalter_1.1-Cube_000.3mf
(21.05 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”