BerryBot3D

Extrusion Multiplier for first layer Please

I would love to see the (Extrusion Multiplier) available on the first layer settings like below:

CompoundCarl

Re: Extrusion Multiplier for first layer Please

I think this already exists using the fist layer height. If you make it 200% for example, it extrudes twice as much plastic. Then you can use the global Z-axis offset to shift the layer up and down until you get the right amount of "squish" for that first layer.
dennisjm

Just increase the first layer width.
BerryBot3D

Dennisjm increasing the first layer width will not actually add plastic. I think the program will recalculate volume but just stack it closer together? Great idea dealing with the global Z, however, I still think it would be a great option to have in the program?
dkightley

The requested feature is already partially implemented in a different way....

KeyboardWarrier's Tip of the Day 4 thread states:
First Layer Settings (These are applied to where the Bed touches your model. If you have a raft, that means the First Layer Settings will apply to your raft).

First Layer Height: This % will take a % of your Primary Layer Height. If you are printing with a small Primary Layer Height like .1 mm I would recommend a First Layer Height of 250%, to get about a resulting .25 mm first layer height

If your First Layer Height is below 100%, the extrusion amount will remain the same, only the Z-will change, but if you increase above 100%, the extrusion amount will scale accordingly.

First Layer Width: the extrusion width of your first layer, you may find that your first layer sticks better with a thicker extrusion (100%+). I don't have too much experience with this, but I think 125% or 150% would be good starting points.

First Layer Speed: Slows down the First Layer Speed to a percentage of your Default Printing Speed (Other tab)
So.....to increase the amount of plastic being extruded relative to the layer height on the first layer....ie increase the extrusion multiplier....simply reduce the layer thickness below 100%.

Personally, I adjust layer thickness and global-z position in combination to achieve exactly the same result....which I'm perfectly happy with. I would prefer to see development time being used to make changes that can't be done any other way (other than using a different slicer) - like sorting out thin wall behaviour!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
danthekilla

dkightley wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:05 am
First Layer Width: the extrusion width of your first layer, you may find that your first layer sticks better with a thicker extrusion (100%+). I don't have too much experience with this, but I think 125% or 150% would be good starting points.

Personally, I adjust layer thickness and global-z position in combination to achieve exactly the same result....which I'm perfectly happy with. I would prefer to see development time being used to make changes that can't be done any other way (other than using a different slicer) - like sorting out thin wall behaviour!
First Layer Width means in no way what you think it does. A 50% reduction in first layer width will result in 2 times the frequency of extrusions, not a 50% reduction in extrusion width as you have suggested.

This feature does not exist and it is probably the #1 issue with simplify 3d as it stands.
blj1884

Wish Granted! :)

1.) Use Replace on Layer 1 to increase Extrusion Multiplier. You need to put this before your {STRIP ";"} Command.

2.) Then reset it back to 100% of whatever your Simplify3D Global Extrusion Multiplier is on the Extruder Tab. If your Global Extrusion Multiplier is 90%, Then setting Layer 2 to 100% will be the 90% as Simplify3D already sliced it that way.

-Jason
Attachments
Layer_Extrusion_Multiplier.jpg
parallyze

blj1884 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:09 pm Wish Granted! :)
Just a note:
Check if your printer does support M221 and what parameters it's using before adding this.
This is dependent on the firmware running on the machine, older ones like Sailfish don't
understand M221, others (RRF) might require a "Dxx" instead of "Txx".
blj1884

parallyze wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:58 am
blj1884 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:09 pm Wish Granted! :)
Just a note:
Check if your printer does support M221 and what parameters it's using before adding this.
This is dependent on the firmware running on the machine, older ones like Sailfish don't
understand M221, others (RRF) might require a "Dxx" instead of "Txx".
Thank you for refining my solution.

Return to “Feature Requests”