rmat

Feature request: Seperate retract/recover speed controls

Would kindly request taking this into consideration.
Just to describe quickly, it would be great if we could retract as fast as possible to reduce the nozzle pressure as fast as possible, but then when recovering from retract the speed would be slow-er. This of course depends from machine to machine, but I think this should be doable, its only one parameter more.
This feature would be great, becaose most of us are getting either blobs on the start of line, either not enough material on start, but too much somewhere else. To go slow on recover would mean there would be just the right amount of material on the right place. This would for sure be big benefit for bowden-style extruders.
jimc

Re: Feature request: Seperate retract/recover speed controls

Did you try a slight neg restart distance? A tiny blob at the start is controlled by a neg value. Start at -.10 and go up or should i say down -.05 each step until the blob is gone
rmat

@jimc

Yes, have tried this also, and the excess material remains there. But then, if I overdoit, I then have inconsistent starts, meaning, sometimes not having enough material extruded at start. I have it now set to -0.1, it is better but still not good enough to be acceptable.
If I go slower with retraction it gets better, but then other problems arrise so I think this feature would be of big help to all of us using bowden extruders. It is already supported in Marlin firware as a firware retraction and is enabled with G10/11, but as you probably know, S3D does not support fw retraction for Marlin, only for MB machines.
glx51mm

I would also like to see this feature on Creator
However, you can try running your extruder a few degrees cooler and see if that helps.
rmat

I agree, id does help go a few degrees lower, but with ABS you dont want to go lower than neccesarry to get good bonding, especially if you print mechanical stuff.
Really hope for S3D team to push this feature high on the list, we would all benefit from it, especially bowden users.
3ntrlab

Would kill for this feature.

Best Regards
Davide Ardizzoia
Professional 3d printers : http://www.3ntr.net
rmat

Bump to keep this on top of feature requests.
dubtec

Agreed, this would be an awesome feature - i run a print farm with 10 ultimaker, and this would really help my battle with retraction.
andrewsi

It's worth noting that Marlin firmware now has support for firmware-based retraction with different retract vs. recover speeds, as well as an optional "auto-retraction" feature that attempts to detect retraction in the incoming g-code and replace it with the firmware-based settings if the slicer doesn't support G10/G11 (which Simplify3D doesn't appear to yet.)
rmat

andrewsi wrote:It's worth noting that Marlin firmware now has support for firmware-based retraction with different retract vs. recover speeds, as well as an optional "auto-retraction" feature that attempts to detect retraction in the incoming g-code and replace it with the firmware-based settings if the slicer doesn't support G10/G11 (which Simplify3D doesn't appear to yet.)
True, Ive already mentioned that 6 post ago.
IMHO both of this two features would be really awesome to have, both seperate speeds & G10/11.
I really hope this will be a part of the future release as I really cannot use S3D for anything else than vase printing at the moment. The whole retract/wipe/coast as is is too much broken to produce decent results with bowden setups.

Return to “Feature Requests”