ghostwheel2000

Re: Ironing

+1
Pets

+1
Arthus

arhi, even if you don't see any sense personally, the world was changing since 2017. Most splicers meanwhile offer this function. This means ironing was rising to a basic function for splicers. And not only on very top layer, on each flat layer. The development is in progress everywhere and even S3D should keep making progress to place themselves on the market.
Ironing is a question of presenting products (splicer and 3d printings).

Do you need painted furniture in your house?
No, they are usable without painted surface.
Will you sell furniture without painted surface?
No, it is standard to choose your colour all over the world.

10 flat surfaces in our printing 3d object on different hight means to set 1 cross on most splicers but use a workaround and define 10 different processes on S3D!
gwhite

I just used ironing for the first time last night, using PrusaSlicer. I would have been using ironing for a lot of things I used to print with S3D, had it been available. I was VERY disappointed to find that it wasn't included in Ver. 5 after waiting years for its release, and seeing constant request for this feature.

I already paid for Ver. 5, but I'm not going to bother installing it until the bugs are fixed, AND it has ironing.
jfkansas

gwhite wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:01 pm I just used ironing for the first time last night, using PrusaSlicer. I would have been using ironing for a lot of things I used to print with S3D, had it been available. I was VERY disappointed to find that it wasn't included in Ver. 5 after waiting years for its release, and seeing constant request for this feature.

I already paid for Ver. 5, but I'm not going to bother installing it until the bugs are fixed, AND it has ironing.
That is years you could have been working on getting your top layers to the point of not needing ironing. Ironing is just a crutch for non optimal slicer settings or hardware issues.
gwhite

Unless I want to spend a lot of time optimizing the top layer (which will require a separate process) for every different filament I have, ironing is pretty useful.

I've never seen any posts on how to optimize the top layer to the point where ironing would be superfluous.
jfkansas

Once you get it most filaments use the same settings for a solid top layer. Just need to adjust the filament diameter if it is too far off from a nominal size. Extrusion width at or below the nozzle size is a good start, but you have to adjust flow downward to compensate.
Arthus

jfkansas wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:10 pm
gwhite wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:01 pm I just used ironing for the first time last night, using PrusaSlicer. I would have been using ironing for a lot of things I used to print with S3D, had it been available. I was VERY disappointed to find that it wasn't included in Ver. 5 after waiting years for its release, and seeing constant request for this feature.

That is years you could have been working on getting your top layers to the point of not needing ironing. Ironing is just a crutch for non optimal slicer settings or hardware issues.
jfkansas, it seems you did not read my note. Ironing is not only a crutch for non optimal slicer. It is also a point of presenting you and your product.
And it is not only a point for the very last top layer.

As you say the user's did have years of time to optimize the settings on processes you could also say S3D did have years of time to make progress on their product.

Marketing is an emergent point on all products, independent of 3d prints, 3d printers, slicers…
On technical point of view there is no need of ironing, looking at aesthetics you need.
(The bigger the size of printing, the less possibility of right settings you have, because the tolerances of the printer become important. Actual I did have a top layer of 45cm x 48 cm. For an acceptable top layer you need to do ironing!)

On my different companies I was planning to set S3D as main slicer. But my experience with my customers says ironing is very emergent.
A friend of me has his own blog with more then 400 000 followers.
Telling my topic with the rising requirement of ironing he did start a questioning about the need if ironing.

41% said they won’t accept printing without ironing
36% ironing is not must, but they would prefer
18% it doesn’t matter if ironing is done on 3d prints
5% they don’t want ironing

As long as S3D has no simple option for activating ironing I will stay only on one licence instead of 24 licences. It’s a simple calculation of use cases and you could see the value of ironing above.
billyd

jfkansas wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:10 pm That is years you could have been working on getting your top layers to the point of not needing ironing. Ironing is just a crutch for non optimal slicer settings or hardware issues.
I couldn't agree more. 12 pages of mostly upvotes for one of the most useless features I've ever heard of. Tune your printers folks. As far as how to's there are 100's of online guides on how to do this. Search engines will get you there.

Return to “Feature Requests”