tenaja

Re: Ironing

dkightley wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:23 am I agree that the S3D developers should not rip off ideas from other slicer developers...but rather have initiative in their own right.
Cura is open source... The very strictest definition of that is "do what you want". Maybe the code license if cura doesn't permit pasting the code into s3d source, but no definitions prohibit implementing similar algorithms.
JediKnight2

mactuan12

iron top layer

Hi,
the top layer on S3d s not really smooth.
du you have the Iron possiblity/settings. It s implemented in Cura and it s very nice.
the resulat with Simplity3D is not really nice :/

or something better that the ironing for the top layer ?
LCD

I would love to have Ironing in Simplify. In Cura it has a time saving algorithm and I'm sure, no need to copypaste code. As a Programmer I see how easy it could be implemented and don't understand why it still does not exist here. When I bought Simplify3D I was sure, a commercial software must be better than freeware. But looking at the results, I'm absolutely unhappy with the surface. When printing emblems, I always have a hole in one of them at same place. Filament-wasting. In Cura with Ironing the results are perfect. It would be so simple ... No lifting, slow low extrusion (I use 5%) with 0.1 or 0.05 (with 0.2mm nozzle) mm distance over any surface that has no printed content in the layer above.
innkeeper

+1 add ironing
SuperJustin

So after just buying this software a few days ago.. It truly does seem like I made a poor choice. Very surprised this isn’t a feature all these years later and after S3D commitment. Luckily not too late for a refund. Very disappointing S3D.
bolsoncerrado

It is indeed an outdated software already. It used to rule the world of the slicers back in the day, but no longer. Not for this price point at least.
DECZH

bolsoncerrado wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:58 pm It is indeed an outdated software already. It used to rule the world of the slicers back in the day, but no longer. Not for this price point at least.
+ironing - I can't understand why this is not implemented in S3D after this years.

I started with an CR10S Pro V2. The standard profile was more or less ok but had many problems with stringing. I had to use the profile from Tinymachine. And there are lot of people upgrading to microswiss allmetal hotend, but here is no standard profile from S3D.

2 Weeks later I bought an Adventurer3 for a dedicated project. The interesting part: The free Flashprint gives me out of the box better results then S3D. But with a lot of tuning I could improve in the end the results for some special prints. There are a lot of settings Flashprint doesn't have. But if they are really needed is another question. So Flashprint can do the job here pretty good.

In my opinion the "standard profiles" for some supported printers are more a nice to have thing, but didn't work for 2 printers. I payed for 1 year and will now use it at the moment. As soon as I have some days to play around I will try out cura. On the long term I'm not sure if I will renew the license for S3D if I can A) flashprint for my adventurer 3 and b) cura for CR10S Pro V2.

Let's see were it goes with this feature. But it is very disappointing that such requested feature is just not implemented after so many years
GarrGarr

+1 Ironing as well.
What a great potential feature! I would insert it into the additions tab :)
rrileypm

Ironing gets my vote.+++

Funny, though...this is a very popular Cura feature. Been using it for years to make signs with perfectly smooth surfaces from edge to edge. Only problem is that Cura sucks at implementing 2 in 1 out nozzles...so for this function I felt it was worth every penny to purchase a license to Simplify3D.

I'm happy with the 2 color prints, but very disappointed (as a new customer) to find out that ironing isn't already a feature even though a request for it has been on the table going on THREE YEARS.

I'm trying to make heads or tails of the process posted by neotko...but I'm still learning the in-outs of S3D overall. Being a Cura user for 8 years and learning S3D for the first time is enough of a challenge.

It just seems like clicking a box if you want ironing or not wouldn't be too much to ask for...whether the developers think it is useful or not. There is plenty of support for it on this thread.

Return to “Feature Requests”