scousethief

Re: Adaptive infill, please

+100 Would like to be able to use a gradient fill pattern were the slicer software would automatically variate the infill at user defined points and allow multiple print settings on a plane (?) . I know we can splice different settings over layers but we can't as far as I'm aware ( I am only new) highlight areas to add strength to via modifying the infill.
For example in printing a helicopter shape as the object I can highlight layers using the process manager to choose bands where I can add different infill etc, but the option to highlight areas were infill could be increased across multiple layers in key places could help speed the print process up a little.
It might also be beneficial to be able to "fill" with a hollowing mesh in order to produce an item with a single outer perimeter that was backed by a hexagonal mesh to a user defined distance
dpineault

+1
FlixMa

+1
flukve

I started this thread almost a year ago and still no answer from Simplify3D team from what i can see. One year later and even more 3D printing softwares have now got it, and the ones that had it a year ago now have got even more features like external support adaptive infill, tree supports, adaptive internal supports, internal supports adaptive infill, adaptive layer height and more. Any updates, are you coding on this?
cybrsage

You are right, it appears S3D is just sitting still while everyone else races past them...and the others are free.
m.savazzi

Two votes more!
S3D-Jake

Thanks for your great feature request and detailed feedback guys!

We're hard at work testing our latest update! Please see our development update topic for more information on what has been developed. Going forward we're planning to do more such topics. So stay tuned!
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
flukve

sweet, many thanks
jumbo

Gradual Infill Adjustments

Hi, I'm using CURA and simplify3D to
1. print at 0.1mm for good quality
2. no infill
3. no support
for product manufacturing, PLA.

I got very nice prints out of simplify and cura, both have their pros and cons.
CURA has it's focus on user friendly overview and customisation - what I wanna say is that this discussion here is not only about a usability but it is about efficiency, too.
Indeed simplify3D is more efficient, it runs even faster and calculates better, but what we see in this discussion is a hole in that red apple.
now have a look at CURA, it has the option to automatically increase the infill.
I was able to print very complex product prototypes.

as an example (to simplify :lol: ):
one small but high cylinder intersecting with a bigger cube, just like the cubes mentioned before, but imagine the bigger cube open at the front side, you look inside and see a cylinder floating in the center of the cube, connected to the roof of the cube.

so, how to print that?
CURA calculated much more complex models with gradual infill at all different roofs, or floating objects.
I was able to print in the air, I watched the printer all the time and there was no mess, no dropped filament, even the extrusion-factor gradually increased with the density of the infill. that way the first layers of infill were printed in the air, so thin you can't see them, gradually increasing its factors.

so for me there are two different things mentioned now:
- gradual infill steps for closing and better bridging the top layers
- gradual infill steps to print objects in the air, which are later connected to the whole piece

to connect what I mentioned before - as simplify3D is a more efficient and professional tool, it should include these features, even if it is about usability, and in this case with usability comes efficiency.

as you may see now, this feature increases not only the
1. usability (simple options for GI like in CURA)
2. efficiency (have everything done with one click)
but also
3. enables to print highly complex structures with floating parts in it at almost no infill
and
4. decreasing time / material at its max.

what do you think about that?

greetings,
jumbo
S3D-Jake

Thanks for the added interest in this documented feature request! I've updated the details of the request for our development team to review.
Last edited by S3D-Jake on Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed typo
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “Feature Requests”