chopperaddict

Error message from my slicer settings

Hi

This problem is driving me nuts, as I have tried almost every combination to stop this message, but all to no avail.
Whenever I click the "Prepare to print" button, I am almost always presented with the same dialog box that says basically -

"The chosen Layer height and extrusion Width settings have resulted in an infill width/height ratio below 1.2"

WooHoo, what in the hell does that mean ? I have no idea what I need to change to fix this issue, but it is certainly correct and does effect my prints adversely, so if anyone can point me in the right direction to remove this infuriating warning and get my prints working correctly again I woud be eternally grateful.

It would not be so bad if there was some form help attached to it, but there is NOT, leaving me struggling wildly changing what seem to be apparently reasonable settings in both layers (for the layer height, which is typically set to .001 or .002) and the infill tab (which I assume is the right place for this damned extrusion width value that clashes) , but nothing I do seems to take this damned warning away.

I am using a Creality CR10 and a Creality Ender2, plus for quick and dirty stuff, a DaVinci Mini w, but they all exhibit this same warning.

Many thanks to anyone who can help me out of this endless circle of Simplify 3D dire warning (although apparently valid) aggravation.

Ian
brian442

Re: Error message from my slicer settings

I think it's explained on their FAQ page:
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/faq/#faq-4631
doug_scott

I realize this is an old post, but, there is a lesson in this post for the developers of the app. Since v5 is still in development, why not fix up some of the error messages to actually apply to the version of the software. The error message for this issue is a good example of what not to do with error messages.

First, do not use terms that are not being used in the settings that you are suggesting needs to be adjusted. Had the error message used the terms that were actually in the software settings it would guide the user to the correct location. The terms may be universally exchangeable, but, unless you already know they are, and you can bet that the OP for this message was not aware, much like me, and had to go searching for the answer.

Developers need to remember that help tips must be written for the ignorant(look up proper definition for that term if you were just offended) user, not the informed user. There is nothing more frustrating that getting a "tool tip" that reads like I walked in on a conversation that is just finishing.
adamswg

I completely agree, that this is an opportunity for improvement. I have run into this same message and had no idea what it was talking about. Plus I gotta wonder if we will ever see a version 5...
dkightley

I've never had this particular error message....but I understood what required doing after reading it!
First, do not use terms that are not being used in the settings that you are suggesting needs to be adjusted. Had the error message used the terms that were actually in the software settings it would guide the user to the correct location. The terms may be universally exchangeable, but, unless you already know they are, and you can bet that the OP for this message was not aware, much like me, and had to go searching for the answer.
The "infill width" cannot be more than 1.2 times the "layer height" The "infill width" is defined by a field "Infill width" on the Infill tab. and the "layer height" is defined by the field "Layer height" on the Layer tab. Or is it the word "ratio" that is causing the issue?

If you think this error message can be clearer, do please suggest what it should say!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
Tigeryell99

You may know exactly what that error message means, but not every user has the same level of expertise as you. Give new users (like myself) more info to go on.

Suggested error message text would be something like what you put in the answer:
The "infill width" cannot be more than 1.2 times the "layer height"
However, the only "infill width" setting I see in the Infill tab is "Infill Extrusion Width" which (according to the hover help) is a percentage of "outline parameters". What "outline parameters" do I need to adjust?
Simplify3D_Infill.png
Some other suggestions:
1. If settings are in different tabs, give a hint to that in your message.
2. Add a "Suggest Settings" dialog that shows the user the exact setting that they need to adjust to resolve the issue.

Being a Software Engineer by trade, it has been my experience that giving suggestions on how to resolve the issue results in happier customers and fewer Customer Support requests which allows for more time to develop new features.
Last edited by Tigeryell99 on Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Feature Requests”