TT_Vert

Opinions on first layer

I've got an odd bubbling issue on my first layer I'm trying to rectify. It is only the first layer that does this.. I am running a maker select w/ 1.75 PLA. I have re-leveled and also replaced the tape. ation in certain areas (I replaced tape and it got beter but still there (See pics below). I think the fact that Lowered my bed temp to 30C may be part of it. I did this to combat elephant foot and it has helped significantly so i'd like to work around it (I did also aising z axis offset did not help enough before it was too high to adhere). However as you can see this first layer issue isn'tconsistent by any means so I don't think Z height is the issue. I'm running a .40mm nozzle w/ 90% extrusion multiplier, 60mm print/ 80mm feed first layer (Throttled 50% for first layer so I assume that reduces both travel and print speed to 30 print/40 feed?) Subsequent layers are all consistent. I don't think I'm over extruding but perhaps your keen eyes see or know something I don't.

Also I don't seem to see any significant extrude temp changes either. Maybe 1/2 a degree.

Thanks much

Dave
Attachments
2018-01-11 02.13.47.jpg
2018-01-11 02.13.42.jpg
2018-01-11 02.13.21.jpg
Last edited by TT_Vert on Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
dkightley

Re: Opinions on first layer

Looks like lumps on the bed/tape.

Try removing the tape and getting your printer to print on the bed...which will be nice and smooth.

Alternatively, invest in a Buildtak or similar plastic stick-on sheet.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
TT_Vert

Definitely not the tape as it would vary from one print to the next. I do have buildtak and use it on occasion but i like the consistency of the tape. With that said I'll be going to a boro glass plate sooner than later. Even w/ tape my bottom layer is very smooth.

Dave
jim_medeiros

Resolved? You might try printing even lower speed on the first layer?
TT_Vert

Yeah I rebuilt the entire hot end.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”