ssstraub

Re: Tip of the Day 30 - Using 3DTouch, CubeX,CubePro and Rap

If you have only used the pseudo-Mac version of CubeX here, I would suggest you try the Windows version to compile the same .bfb. It's about 100x faster. The Mac version is really just the Windows version wrapped in a slow emulator. Better than nothing, but not really a substitute for a native program.
ssstraub

If anyone is looking for a Cube 2nd generation profile for S3D, I've attached the FFF that I adapted from the CubeX/CubePro on the first post of this thread. The retraction settings are not perfect, but I think it works pretty well other than a little blobbing on the exterior surface.

Below is a Benchy printed using this profile.

Attachments
Cube 2nd gen.fff
(12.09 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
Could_Do_Better

amortech wrote:Hey Everyone.

Been a while but nice to see this thread still active.

Unfortunately I was forced to use the Cubepro today for a big ABS job so came back here to see whats up.....

I DID MAKE A NICE DISCOVERY FOR EVERYONE!

In order to bypass the filament counter on the new firmware just scroll to the very bottom of the DECODED Cubepro file and you will see a

^LayerTime: 146.2000 1831.109 83360.242

That last value mirrors the material length from above:

^MaterialLengthE1: 83360.242
^MaterialLengthE2: 0.000
^MaterialLengthE3: 0.000

Change both those values and you are golden on the latest firmware.

Stay tuned as the next step for me is swapping the board out for my new Fastbot and running Octoprint on CubePro - so done with this machine. Have a flashforge pro, TypeA Series 1 Pro, Zmorph, Raise3d and they all turn circles around this heap.
Hi I gave this a go but got a couple of issues I was hoping people might be able to help with.

Here are the relevant extracts from my Decoded cubepro file.

Code: Select all

^15-CHUCK:55:16-1142016
^PrinterModel:CUBEPRO
^Firmware:V1.14
^Minfirmware:V0.00
^DRM:000000000000
^ConfigAndConfiguration:No-
^MaterialCodeE1: 266
^MaterialCodeE2: -1
^MaterialCodeE3: -1
^MaterialLengthE1: 9362.179
^ExtruderTypeE1:0
^ExtruderTypeE2:0
^ExtruderTypeE3:0

^LayerTime: 20.2000 80.945 9241.249
As you can see the two numbers are different (9362.179 & 9241.249). I went ahead and changed them both to 0.001 (I figured that I better pretend to use some material).

Following an Encode of the modified file, the CubePro simply says 'Invalid File Format'

I'm a complete Noob, just getting up to speed, any help would be appreciated as I'd love to use sensibly priced filaments!
alex-koch

Could_Do_Better wrote:
amortech wrote:Hey Everyone.

Been a while but nice to see this thread still active.

Unfortunately I was forced to use the Cubepro today for a big ABS job so came back here to see whats up.....

I DID MAKE A NICE DISCOVERY FOR EVERYONE!

In order to bypass the filament counter on the new firmware just scroll to the very bottom of the DECODED Cubepro file and you will see a

^LayerTime: 146.2000 1831.109 83360.242

That last value mirrors the material length from above:

^MaterialLengthE1: 83360.242

Change both those values and you are golden on the latest firmware.

Stay tuned as the next step for me is swapping the board out for my new Fastbot and running Octoprint on CubePro - so done with this machine. Have a flashforge pro, TypeA Series 1 Pro, Zmorph, Raise3d and they all turn circles around this heap.
Hi I gave this a go but got a couple of issues I was hoping people might be able to help with.

Here are the relevant extracts from my Decoded cubepro file.

Code: Select all

^15-CHUCK:55:16-1142016
^PrinterModel:CUBEPRO
^Firmware:V1.14
^Minfirmware:V0.00
^DRM:000000000000
^ConfigAndConfiguration:No-
^MaterialCodeE1: 266
^MaterialCodeE2: -1
^MaterialCodeE3: -1
^MaterialLengthE1: 9362.179
^ExtruderTypeE1:0
^ExtruderTypeE2:0
^ExtruderTypeE3:0

^LayerTime: 20.2000 80.945 9241.249
As you can see the two numbers are different (9362.179 & 9241.249). I went ahead and changed them both to 0.001 (I figured that I better pretend to use some material).

Following an Encode of the modified file, the CubePro simply says 'Invalid File Format'

I'm a complete Noob, just getting up to speed, any help would be appreciated as I'd love to use sensibly priced filaments!
That doesn't work for me also. If I change the value of ^MaterialLengthE1: to 0.000 the cube replies "Invalid file format". If I change the value to 0.0001 it counts down the Filament on the chip regardless what value I give to ^LayerTime. If I change the value to 0.0001 and start with an empty cartridge it says not enough filament left for this job. You can put up to sixty zeroes after the point. With sixtyone the cube just switches itself off after some time :D
I think the amount of use filament gets counted by the sensor on the idle wheel all the time you print, which makes sense if you think about aborting a job. From where else should the printer know how much filament is used and left in the cartridge?
My cubepro runs with firmware 1.12A/V2

@ amortech: Could you please describe a litle bit more detailed how you managed this issue? Do you print with "empty" cartridges or does your cube work with full ones but the chip doesn't count down? Which value do you set for ^MaterialLengthE1 and ^LayerTime? Can you maybe post a bfb file that worked for you? Which firmware are you running?

@ could_do-better: Your problem with the different numbers, is it possible, that you look at the wrong line? In a .cubepro file from the original software there are a lot of entries with ^LayerTime. Did you open the file with a texteditior and searched the whole file for "9362.179"?

Regards
Alex
Could_Do_Better

Alex, yes i did a search the file for the number. It only appears once.

I'm on 1.4 firmware.

A few things i have discovered about the Cubepro slicer 1.95.

1) We pushed 3D Systems about the inability to print solid thin walls as we mainly want to produce prototype cases for power capacitors. They told us the software only really works with multiples of 0.76mm (0.030 inch), so if you have walls that will not print solid try making their thickness multiples of 0.76mm. I've found this works but only in 300um layer height, take the exact same STP file and only adjust the layer height to 200um or 70um and you are back to two parallel walls with no fill no matter how many side walls you ask for. Its impressive how tall and thin a wall it can make but having a double shell with no strength is infuriating, this is the main reason I'm looking into Simplify3D. I looked at the published FFF files and saw the nozzle diameter is set to 0.35mm. Based on the information above, from 3D systems you may want to try 0.38mm an see if you get better results.

2) We can finally print large ABS cases without peeling. I just did 3 280mm x 100mm x 57mm cases with 2.58mm wall thickness. Though oddly and in conflict with 1) 2.1mm walls also slices and print with connected solid side walls (4 passes) in 300um layers.

a. Preheat the chamber to 80C. Allow at least 30 minutes but longer if possible
b. Pre heat the bed in a separate oven to 90C (We have good quality lab ovens with excellent temperature control so be careful if you have a domestic oven. This is important as the bed is in a low position while you try to preheat the chamber and does not get hot through.
c. Use a side walk of 10mm, 4 layers, 0.15mm offset (min selectable), no perforation)
d. Move the part to the back of the bed, the chamber heater is at the back, if you feel the top you'll notice the back is much hotter than the front as the heater is located at the back.

By following the 4 steps above we've managed to make the printer usable. But we are far from happy and will not be buying another 3D Systems printer.
phesketh01

Hi all,

We have been struggling with this printer for some time now. I have all but given up on the ABS material due to massively inconsistent results, but via the CubePro generated files and also using the SImplify 3D ones, generated from the help here. We tried calibrating the temperature with lots of different temperature experiments but to no avail.

We have moved on to PLA, which is what we use most of anyway (PLA, PLA/PHA mainly). I have ordered a spool of the 1.75mm premium PLA from FilaPrint in the UK as we've had absolutely excellent results with the 2.85mm version of that filament for the last year on our other FDM machines.

The cube pro, aside from the few test pieces, has lay pretty dormont gathering dust since we bought it due to lack of time to experiment and lack of trust in it's reliability. It very commonly throws up the Filament error when snapping the filament inside the extruder also.

My question is, having tried everything on this thread, has anyone got this machine to print decent parts (not thin wall parts) using PLA, via Simplify 3D, and if so can you post your scripts and also any parameters for temperature.

We are one step away from abandoning this printer and I feel I have to make any last ditch effort to make it a worthwhile investment like our other machines were.
Cubexupgrade

Hello,

This is a little off topic, but i think it might interest cubepro user, you can change your hotend by a generic one like an e3d, just swap the 100k thermistor by a 230k and use an adapter to fit them in the bot. It's like the cubex.
Best regards,
Hugues
lucidarc

2 questions/issues that I was hoping I can get some help with:

1. I've got 2 plugged PLA extruders, the one I am pretty sure I broke trying to unplug so that one is a loss, the other clogged about 4 hours into a print (.3 layer, 4000mm/min, 51 extruder setting). I've tried about everything to open it up, but haven't had any luck. Any other last ditch ideas before I order a new one? The print settings were pulled from a decoded cubepro file, and I don't think are the problem, but does anyone else have thoughts on that - could over extruding or printing to fast cause it to plug?

2. Any specs on printing .3 layers? I am thinking I obviously need to extrude more material, but how much? The decoded file I checked out was running about 4000 with a m108 51.

Thanks.
allan_glover

This seems to be the main thread for the CubePro. I was finally able to decode a cubepro file and this information was difficult to find without. For those wondering what the cubepro defaults are, here are a few (we all know the software is terrible, but at least this is a starting point for experimentation)

Material codes;
Nylon (white): 404
INF: 501

Temps:
PLA: 210C
Nylon: 275C
INF: 250C while printing, 220C in standby

I was going to post some other info but ran out of time. Will do at a later time
dorsai3d

Anyone notice that we got a little love in 3.1? Looks like M108 S is supported finally!

@lucidarc I've noticed some clogging problems when using a start script header that set #Vector T22. I have no idea what this does (it's in cubepro files whenever there's a perimeter, but changes all the time) but when I set #Vector T2 instead (the infill setting) I have less trouble. Filament still breaks off in the $#*% convoluted path sometimes, but nothing I can do about that.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”