Wellcoms

Speed overrides on islands instead of layers

Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:51 am

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and 3d printing so this has probably been already covered somewhere that I couldn't find.
After printing my first things with Cura and Repetier I bought Simplify3D for the extensive settings that I love.

I am currently studying the Cooling options and I thought that setting speed according to size of the layer was great until I printed things with more islands.
I found out then that it would still print pretty fast when a single layer was composed of several small islands.

So shouldn't Simplify3D take into account the island print time instead of the layer print time ?

thanks

CompoundCarl

Re: Speed overrides on islands instead of layers

Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:27 am

You want to reduce the speed so that each layer has enough time to cool down before you start printing on top of it. So in my opinion, it's the total layer time that really matters, since that determines how long before the nozzle will move up and start printing the next layer.

Wellcoms

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:27 am

I understand your point of view but I think there should be another option to specify the minimum amount of time between layers.
The printing speed should be determined by the size of the current island. That way towers will be built with a constant slow speed instead of being printed fast when the layer is big and very slow when the tower above everything else.

Wellcoms

Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:13 am

here is a picture to illustrate my point:
tower.jpg
maybe there is a way to have the tower being deep blue on all its length but I couldn't find it (apart from disabling speed overrides and printing the whole piece very slow).
Is there a way to have the piece print fast except for the tower in the middle ?

siamak2153

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:50 am

hello
i solved this problem with split the main part and use of several part with some FFF settings . then u can move your parts to the correct positoin and print finally . like the attached file.
Attachments
speed.JPG

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”