erniehatt
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:31 pm

Cutoff

Hi,
I have put together the model shown in the image, I have drawn a line across it, I need to cut it off there.
Any ideas how I can achieve this.
I thought that maybe I could stop the print at the appropriate point, what are you views on this.
Thanks
Capture4.PNG
User avatar
dkightley
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Cutoff

The easy way...work out the height to your cut line and set the print to stop at this height using the settings on the Advanced tab of the settings.

A more complicated way.....use the free version of Netfabb to slice the model into two. (Never done this myself, so can't give simple instructions without trying it myself.)

And a third way....turn the model upside down and lower it so only what you want to print is above the bed. it'll print like that.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
danielhenley
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:27 pm

Re: Cutoff

A few different ways:

1) turn it upside down and lower the section you don't want to print below the build plate
2) set it to stop printing at a certain height in the process setup
3) use 3d software to break the model up (meshmixer can do this).

3 is the best solution as it will give you a filled in edge where you cut it off.
erniehatt
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Cutoff

Thanks Doug, I will take a close look at all those suggestions.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”