gravityyy
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:12 am

Holes/gaps top layer .

Hello guys


I'me not new to 3D printing , i'm using my UM2 for about a year now without any problems .

I used to work on Cura perfectly but i wanted a bit more challenge . I swaped to S3D like 2 month ago and about a week now i have every time this Holes/gaps on top on each of my prints .

I've checked the Support/quality section already and i can tell you that my nozzle isn't clogged that i've tweaked my extrusion multiplier/width to 1.2 and 0.5 respectively and nothing changed .

I'm a bit stuck , i've tried to swap nozzle still the same issue .

These are 2 pictures , one from the bottom part ( nearly like a mirror perfect ) and the top part with holes everywhere .

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Image
Image
CompoundCarl
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:23 am

Re: Holes/gaps top layer .

Have you read their tutorial about this issue yet?
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... top-layers

I'm not sure I can give any suggestions that aren't already mentioned there ;)

PS - even if your bottom layer is solid, you could still be under-extruding, since the position of the first layer can drastically affect how solid the first few layers of the print actually look. So don't assume you have the perfect extrusion amount just based on the bottom layer.
gravityyy
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:12 am

Re: Holes/gaps top layer .

Thanks for the reply,


I already checked this troubleshooting guide before posting my despair over here .

I've performed this print with cura perfectly ...

I'm thinking about something . Can S3D fail during the Gcode generation , and skip some of the bot/top layer extrusion lines ?

I don't know if i'm clear enough .

Thanks tho
CompoundCarl
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:23 am

Re: Holes/gaps top layer .

I've never seen it skip top/bottom solid layers, so I doubt that's the problem.

Try increasing the number of top solid layers. Does it look any better if you print +3 more top solid layers?

Next try increasing the extrusion multiplier. Does it look better if you add 0.05 to your extrusion multiplier? (as I said before, you need to ignore the very bottom few layers when looking at the results, since that can be misleading - only look at layers 10 and above)

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”