Festus440

Re: Major bug, x-axis leaning to the right (positive)

First, I have no idea if this is related to the leaning problem, but using a bad STL file isn't a good thing to use to identify the root cause. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have seen this problem but not often. Unless something can be duplicated I am hesitant to point any fingers at either S3D or Leapfrog.

Second, S3D should ideally flag a bad STL file as soon you load it (Kisslicer does). No reason it couldn't run the manifold test automatically.

As far as repairing the bad STL file, S3D does have some built in repair options. Depending on how bad the errors are that may or may not work. There is a utility called Netfabb (the basic version is free) that can sometimes fix the bad models. There is another utility called MeshLab that can too, but there is a pretty steep learning curve.

I find that quite a few models that I've downloaded from Thingiverse.com have errors.
Binni1969

Hi Festus440,

yes I turned the repair Option on.
And I checked the stl in Autodesk Inventor and the stl is fine!
The holes in your Picture Show the gaps are in the supports which are done by simplify3d and are not part of the stl.
At the Moment I have much simpler stl´s (A rectangular box with some internals) that are leaning to the right , so I do them with Cura now!
The simplify3d is the only program I am having Trouble with the Leapfrog Creatr, other work really well, but it´s a pitty because it is looking nice and has some cool Features...
Festus440

>yes I turned the repair Option on.
But did you run the actual test from the "Repair" menu "Identify non-manifold edges"?

>And I checked the stl in Autodesk Inventor and the stl is fine!
I'm not surprised it would say it is good. I'm not saying anything bad about AutoDesk (I use both AutoCad and 3D Studio). But when it says it is "fine" is it actually testing if it is manifold? I can import STL files into SolidWorks, but problems won't show up until I attempt to convert it to a solid. I would be interested in knowing if Netfabb finds any problems with it.

>The holes in your Picture Show the gaps are in the supports which are done by simplify3d and are not part of the stl.
If there are errors in the file, it would certainly effect how S3D slices it, including the supports.

>At the Moment I have much simpler stl´s (A rectangular box with some internals) that are leaning to the right , so I do them with Cura now!
Slicers seem to vary on how well they deal with specific STL problems. I have had files that won't work in Sli3er but do in S3D.

Please upload the new STL file that you are using so that we can try it.
I have printed lots of parts with S3D without any problems and I have a Creatr too.
Jetguy

Folks, anytime you see this leaning problem most likely it is EMI on the limit switch for that axis. We are obsolutely horrible in every single design that I have seen for control boards about correctly filtering the endstop inputs. Many, many boards such us RAMPS and MakerBot as well use NO pullups (other than the internal processor pullup) on the endstop sense pins, nor do they add any capacitors for filtering. The simplest way to test for this assuming you are using switches in the Normally Open configuration is to unplug them during the print, but after the homing operation. If the suspect print file now prints fine, it was the endstop falsely triggering VIA EMI. Further, just because you run normally closed switches, doesn't garantee that EMI won't be sensed as a false trigger as well.

To fix this problem, I place a .1uF-1uF cap across the switch leads paying attention to polarity and also pull up the sense line via a 2k Ohm resistor to the 5V bus. This ensures the line is pulled up with stronger current than the internal pullup in the processor and the filter cap ensures dampens any noise on the line as well.
Lonestar9192

Would this still be this issue if repetier works fine?
Festus440

Hi Jetguy,
You certainly may be correct.
Question: If this is indeed happening, would you see it being reported in the log? (Turning off verbose mode so that you can see the error.) I know I have caught endstop errors in the log for the Z-axis when playing around with the bed and nozzle overrides.

@ Lonestar9192:
I only know enough about this stuff to be dangerous :D I don't know how STL files are parsed. I'm going to "assume" that when an error is found, the slicer has to decide how to deal with it. Either ignore it or try to fix it. All I do know is that certain files seem to work with some slicers and not others. As I said earlier, if there is a problem found I would prefer that the slicer throw up a warning. I have read that a new STL format is being developed that allows "curved" triangles. This would likely eliminate a lot of these types of problems.

My main interest is simply knowing the true root cause of the problem.
Lonestar9192

Yes agreed, i don't want a bandaid I want to fix the issue. Tonight I'll unhook my endstop switches and take the code out to home axis after print. I'll let you know if it works. If that's the issue (which I don't think it is, unless s3d drives motors differently which they probably don't) I'll get shielded wire. If not, I'm up forore suggestions... This is frustrating me. I appreciate the suggestions
Festus440

If it is EMI, unhooking the end stops might not make a difference (at least if the switches are normally open).
I would certainly turn off verbose mode in the communications window to see if any endstop errors show up there.
Lonestar9192

I just finished another crooked print, with verbose off, there were no errors during the print. Just the usual startup then active extruder 0 then print time
Festus440

Is it an STL file you can share?

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”