DmitryBurkov

Infill angle offsets

In V4 it was possible to specify any number of custom infill angles. I used this a lot, for example it was a very good practice to do rectilinear fill at 20 and -20 degree angles for wing-shaped models or for any models with specific strength/weight requirements. In V5 I don't see it anymore. Is it possible to return this functionality in future versions?
If not, is it possible to do the the same by combining two processes - one for outlines and the first infill direction, and one for the second infill direction but without outlines and solid infills?
S3D-Jason

Re: Infill angle offsets

In V5 you can still change the infill angle, but you can't create arbitrary sequences in a single process like V4. However, as you mentioned you can probably still create something very similar using 2 processes. The instructions would be:
  • Setup the first process normally, but then go to the Infill tab and select the "Aligned" internal infill pattern. Enter the first angle value that you want to use for the "Infill Pattern Rotation" (in your case it would be +20 degrees)
  • Click OK to save your settings and then Copy and paste that process to create a second identical one
  • Open the second process, go back to the Infill tab, and change the "Infill Pattern Rotation" to the next angle you want to use (in your case -20 degrees)
  • While still in the second process, go to the Layers tab and change the number of perimeters to zero. You also need to set the Horizontal Size Compensation to the following value: -numPerimeters*extrusionWidth. For example, if your 1st process had 2 perimeters and an extrusion width of 0.4mm, you would set the size compensation of the 2nd process to: -2*0.4 = -0.8mm.

That gets you very close, but the top and bottom solid layers of the 2 processes may still overlap. For a flat part, you can fix that using the Custom Zones for the 2nd process, but it won't work for more complex geometries. This might be a great feature request for a future version. I know there are already a few feature requests on the forum for something similar.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”