Page 1 of 1

Graphics Bug

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:11 pm
by greybeard
Graphic Bug...

The bed grid lines disappear on various view orientations - only happens in 3.1 (another poor quality control check). Image attached.

Re: Graphics Bug

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:39 pm
by jimc
cant say i have ever seen that and you are the only person so far to report this. for a start i would make sure all you video drivers are up to date.

Re: Graphics Bug

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:35 pm
by greybeard
I use a Mac. Doesn't happen with earlier versions (I still have 3.0.2 loaded and confirmed no problem).

It's not a problem for me - just thought I'd post it here (and I don't expect a fix for it - they never fixed the Toolbar - probably only a Mac issue).

Re: Graphics Bug

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:44 am
by dkightley
I think calling this a graphics bug as a result of poor quality control checks is a bit much!

What I believe we're seeing here is an unavoidable effect of a graphics processor where it is attempting to merge the pixels from a high resolution plane into a lower resolution render. I'm sure there's an official term to describe the effect.....but not being a specialist in the science, I have no idea what its called.

I've looked at my build bed in S3D from the same angle in three different versions (2.2, 3.01 & 3.1) and I get exactly same thing in all three versions, but its a somewhat different form of this effect ...where I get something that looks like moire fringing in a colour in between the grey of the bed background and the dark grey/black of the lines. Getting the same doesn't really surprise me as all three are using the same code to render the graphics image....the video graphics processor in my PC!

An extreme example of the effect is where you see someone's face pixelated out in photos and videos so the cannot be identified,

Re: Graphics Bug

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:16 am
by CompoundCarl
Agreed. I have a Mac as well, and it works absolutely fine for me on 3.0.2 and 3.1.0. No issues at all.

Re: Graphics Bug

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:14 am
by dorsai3d
I'm curious, are you using a 32 bit version? I'm on 64 bit and I've not seen this before either, even when setting the build area unusually high (like meters large). It sounds kind of like Z-fighting, though.

Re: Graphics Bug

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:03 pm
by greybeard
64 bit

Graphics are calibrated and no similar (or other problems) with any other software, including SolidWorks with it's intensive rendering in FEA and photo rendering with adjustable Light position sources, GIMP, Paintbrush, Coral, Autocad... list goes on . It happens only with s3d whether Legacy Graphics is checked or not (in prefs). Regarding Z-stitching: stitching is app/code dependent (polygon orientation and depth), not machine dependent so, it's s3d code.

A different problem but (on Mac version) right click the Toolbar and uncheck the Toolbar to hide it. Only way to get it back is Quit s3d...