Page 1 of 1
STL file loads but doesn't preview correctly
Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:47 pm
by technosteve
Having my first issue with Simplify3d. I'm trying to print out the attached file "air scoop", however, in the preview mode, in only wants to print a small portion of the file, with the rest missing.
Could the issue be that the part is to small? I'm doubting it though, as I have printed smaller parts successfully.
Re: STL file loads but doesn't preview correctly
Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:46 am
by CompoundCarl
There's some serious issues with that STL file. Lots of non manifold edges and bad faces. You can see many of these by using the Repair tools in S3D.
You need to repair the model first before printing it. Try using netfabb's repair service or something like that
Re: STL file loads but doesn't preview correctly
Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:21 pm
by technosteve
What is a manifold edge? What is a bad face? I'll just remake the part vs repairing it, in case I need to make adjustments to it later. I will just need to avoid making the manifolds and bad faces in the design, but can't avoid them if I don't know what they are.
Thanks!
Re: STL file loads but doesn't preview correctly
Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:14 am
by CompoundCarl
Re: STL file loads but doesn't preview correctly
Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:47 am
by dkightley
Try using netfabb's repair service or something like that
It does work! I've tried it with your stl....and the repaired model will print!
https://netfabb.azurewebsites.net/